Central heating programmer fuse blows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fuse on wall switch for our central heating/Hot water programmer blew last Saturday night. replaced fuse 4 times and it still kept blowing.

Called out plumber who came out last Wednesday, he replaced fuse and it worked. He could not find anything wrong. eveything was OK until an hour ago when my duaghter ran a bath at it blew again I have just replace fuse again 3 times and it keeps blowing anyone got any ideas before Icall plumber out again?

:(

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it could be the hot water control valve. Turn the hot water off and then replace the fuse.

A faulty circulating pump can do this, as can other faults.

Is there any particular reason for you not posting full details of your heating system?

Softus said:
A faulty circulating pump can do this, as can other faults.

Is there any particular reason for you not posting full details of your heating system?

No Particular reason, Boiler is an Ideal Classic 11 years old, programmer is acl Lifestyle model LP241

Sponsored Links
Pensdown said:
It sounds like it could be the hot water control valve. Turn the hot water off and then replace the fuse.

I had replaced the fuse, turned the water back on and after a few seconds it blew again, I think I will wait until the morning and try again.

Sorry, I should have said if the fuse doesn't blow with hot water off, don't turn it back on because that could be where the fault is.
:rolleyes:

clive5 said:
Boiler is an Ideal Classic 11 years old, programmer is acl Lifestyle model LP241
Fully pumped? Gravity HW? Any MZVs? C plan / S plan / Y plan? Any other details you want to share?

Mr Softus, what difference does it make if the OP has a A-Z plan installation.

In the worst case connected to the supply he will have a boiler, one three port or maybe two two port valves, a pump and apart from the odd stat not much else.

So if the fuse blows when the hot water comes on (as his post stated) what difference does it make hows it's configured?

I can hardly believe that you need to ask, but if the hot water is not pumped, and yet the fuse blows on hot water only, then the pump can be eliminated as a suspect.

Tell you what - you go ahead and diagnose the problem, with 100% certainty, on the information that has been provided so far.

You can't do any worse than the OP, whose diagnostic methods comprise replacing the fuse and hoping for the best. :rolleyes:

The first thing, I'm not diagnosing the problem with 100% certainly but based in the sparse information so far I'm closer than you because all you've done is try to belittle both me and the OP :evil:

Second thing, I agree and for the DIYers who read these posts if a fuse blows or an MCB trips try to find the fault before replacing/re-setting because fuses blow and MCB's trip for a reason.

Now get back to you're own forum ;)

Pensdown said:
Now get back to you're own forum.
I hadn't realised that each forum had its own membership. If so, based on the following post, you don't know enough to post on this forum:

Pensdown said:
It sounds like it could be the hot water control valve.
Nice and non-specific. Do you know anything about heating systems? :rolleyes:

Sorry Softus, you're right, I know nothing about electrical installations, heating or HVAC control systems.

You carry on....

Pensdown said:
You carry on.
You seem undecided, but it matters not. After your question (below) I'm waiting to see how you solve this one.

Pensdown said:
what difference does it make if the OP has a A-Z plan installation.

Softus said:
Pensdown said:
I hadn't realised that each forum had its own membership. If so, based on the following post, you don't know enough to post on this forum:

So why ask me now you know "I know nothing"?

My 'question' to you was rhetorical. I reiterate:

After your question (below) I'm waiting to see how you solve this one.

Pensdown said:
what difference does it make if the OP has a A-Z plan installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back