Central Heating Set-up Does it look right ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

hope there's someone on here that can take a look at my pic's and see if there is anything wrong?

Basically i moved into a newbuild house 18months ago that was fitted with oil central heating, UFH downstairs - Radiators with TRV's up - Megaflow tank for the hot water.

I noticed that when the program was set to heat water only the actuators would also pop up?, also the circulating pump would also run throughout the time period that was programmed.

My idea was that when the 200 ltr tank was hot the system would shut off completely as the tank would retain the heat? at the moment the pump continues to pump water back and forth to the boiler? Hense the boiler keeps firing to heat again.

Last week i had the plumber past to fit a thermostatic valve which should have been installed, now i'm no plumber but i'm sure it's in the wrong place also ( been googling for similar set ups ).

Anyways any help would be most gratefull!!

thanks
[/img]

Sponsored Links
There are several issues there really.

First is the by-pass valve (the valve sitting at an odd angle under the pump). That should ideally be a sprung loaded differential by-pass.

Second is the underfloor manifold should have it's own zone valve to allow the UFH to operate independently.

The problems that you describe are more electrical than plumbing though and that can't be diagnosed through photo's like this.

As for the thermostatic valve. Normally these are a three-way and the one you have is only a two-port. Doubt the UFH will work properly like that.

But thats an injection valve on the ufh. A lot of systems have these.
I think the op is referring to the dhw 3 port blending valve.

It looks like he's feeding the kitchen with unblended hot water and other areas with the blended water.

In all honesty it looks very tidy and professional.

Sponsored Links
why have a blending valve on the hot water...how many bathrooms are there?

it s a gas boiler isn't it...

and two actuators on the ufh are missing... this could be the cause of the constamtly runnimg pump, which pimp is it that is running...

why have a blending valve on the hot water...how many bathrooms are there?

it s a gas boiler isn't it...

The op states I moved into a new build house, probably it's got blended water because those silly little troublesome rules makers changed the building regulations, specifically part G ( the plumbing bit) requiring new bathrooms to have TMV fitted to the baths.

Yes why would they be missing....

TMV on the cylinder is that a requirement for oil...not sure to be honest...

workmanship looks top notch though.... but its behaviour??

It is nice and neat but for a reasonable system there are a few odd features.

The lack of an auto bypass valve seems odd for the sake of a £20 par5t.

Then fitting the Rads and the UFH all on the same timed zone without different timings seems particularly perverse.

I can see that the UFH would work but it seems an unusual arrangement.

Yes why would they be missing....

TMV on the cylinder is that a requirement for oil...not sure to be honest...

workmanship looks top notch though.... but its behaviour??

I was asking why you would bridge a thermostat for two actuators? I can see a reason for not having a couple of loops controlled- shower room for example.

As Lee already said - the Blending valve is for bathrooms on new builds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back