Central heating synchron motor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
My central heating isn't working, Hot water is fine but the heating doesn't fire the boiler into action.
I think i have proved it down the the synchron motor picture attached, i am getting 240v at the motor. But nothing is happening. Makes me think it is a faulty motor.

I have a separate one for the HW and this functions normally.

Do I just need to purchase a standard synchro motor? Do i need to drain the system if it is this thats faulty?

Thanks for any advice.

Worz

Sponsored Links
Turn on heating controls and turn thermostat up, then move the lever on the 2 port valve to see if it moves. It may just be stuck.

Mine was today.

Andy

I think i have proved it down the the synchron motor picture attached, i am getting 240v at the motor. But nothing is happening. Makes me think it is a faulty motor. Do I just need to purchase a standard synchro motor?
If the motor is faulty, then yes.
Do i need to drain the system if it is this thats faulty?
No

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the fast replies.
The lever moves fine, but nothing happens. Do you think the motor is most likely faulty?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the fast replies. The lever moves fine, but nothing happens. Do you think the motor is most likely faulty?
If it still does nothing, with voltage present, after you've moved the lever, then it very probably is faulty, yes.

Kind Regards, John

Many thanks, I will see if i can get one and have a go at replacing it.

Regards

Worz

Often a good idea to fire the CH up, briefly, every few months between spring and autumn to stop pumps and valves from seizing up.

Hi again,

It looks like it is the valve that is buggered. I managed to get the motor off, it is very awkward and the motor is turning fine, it just seems the valve wont move, i was able to move the man/auto switch, but i think it was just spring pressure, not the valve opening, is there any way to free these up or will it need replacing?
Thanks again guys.

I think that is what was meant in the first reply.

Pair of pliers.

However, it must be corroded inside so no one can tell how long it will last.

If the valve was seized I don't think you'd have been able to operate the lever, if you want to you can remove the actuator and attach an adjustable spanner to see if the ball will move, it only moves a small amount, around 45° iirc

If the valve was seized I don't think you'd have been able to operate the lever, if you want to you can remove the actuator and attach an adjustable spanner to see if the ball will move, it only moves a small amount, around 45° iirc
IIRC, there's usually some lever movement before the valve starts moving - so maybe that's what the OP experienced, and thought that it was moving the valve?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back