Central heating system leakage - need advice please

Sponsored Links
quick update: we called a gas engineer today through our insurance, he came and did the following:

1. cleaned up the PRV valve saying there was dirt underneath the rubber washer which might have been the reason for it leaking.

2. Found the pressure within expansion vessel (EV) was too low and re-pressurised to 1 bar. He said low pressure could have been the reason for excess pressure discharging through the relief valve/pipe rather than going into the vessel (although to me it should be the other way round - if pressure inside EV were too high then it would have discharged thru the prv).

3. Said if the pressure drop problem persists call the insurer again and ask for the prv replacement.

4. To my question about refilling inhibitor he replied - get the leakage problem sorted first then refill the inhibitor.

Found the pressure within expansion vessel (EV) was too low and re-pressurised to 1 bar. He said low pressure could have been the reason for excess pressure discharging through the relief valve/pipe rather than going into the vessel (although to me it should be the other way round - if pressure inside EV were too high then it would have discharged thru the prv).

I hope you didn't try to argue this case with the engineer:D;)

Working on a Sunday is bad enough without trying to explain yourself to the customer!

Sponsored Links
Hello guys, Hope you had a nice weekend.
Unfortunately none of what the engineer did yesterday (cleaning the PRV, re-pressurising the expansion vessel (EV) - please see post #33) helped - the pressure still drops from 1.2 to 0.6 bar after ~4 hours of boiler operation. However, the pressure relief pipe (PRP) outside didn't collect any water (perhaps ~ 2ml only), so looks like the PRV has been fixed.

The engineer said also that if PRV doesn't leak anymore after the cleaning - it might be worth re-checking EV for pressure and if it looses pressure again - it might be faulty and worth replacing.

My plan for this evening is to try adding Fernox F4 Express Leak Sealer (here) through the radiators would that be OK or would you rather advise to call an engineer again to check for a fault in EV first?

Also, I want to add Fernox F1 CH inhibitor thru the radiator too. Is it worth doing together with the sealer, before or after - or doesn't matter?

Thank you

P.S. Just out of curiosity - EV has fixed volume so it can only take in so many liters of water. What happens when EV gets full - will it the water then escape thru the PRV or how? Thanks

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back