Central Heating & Under Floor Heating (Water) 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Sorry to come back for the regrading my electrical problems.

We had Electrician came over to check and he replaced a fuse with 5amp. He said the power drawn by boiler and underfloor heating 3 amp is not enough and reconnected the combi boiler to the switch and works fine. It has not blown/tripped anymore.

The heating works fine if you lesve thermostat (Drayton RF) to 22c but when you increase the under floor heating, Drayton thermostat increases shoots up even though you have set underfloor to 20c.

I wonder if the Drayton thermostat is faulty or there is some other issue.

Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_0724.jpeg
    IMG_0724.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0723.jpeg
    IMG_0723.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0728.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0725.jpeg
    IMG_0725.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
Hello,

Sorry to come back for the regrading my electrical problems.

We had Electrician came over to check and he replaced a fuse with 5amp. He said the power drawn by boiler and underfloor heating 3 amp is not enough and reconnected the combi boiler to the switch and works fine. It has not blown/tripped anymore.

The heating works fine if you lesve thermostat (Drayton RF) to 22c but when you increase the under floor heating, Drayton thermostat increases shoots up even though you have set underfloor to 20c.

I wonder if the Drayton thermostat is faulty or there is some other issue.

Please help.
Can you reword/elaborate on the last bit pls?

The thermostat probably shows the real air temp, not the set temp.

But that's confusing because why do you have two thermostats or two different settings?

What are you doing when you set the UFH?

Hello EFLimpudence/BlueLoo,
Thanks for your response.
Drayton (RF) Thermostat is in landing area which controls heating in the whole house.
UHF is for kitchen area only with separate thermostat.
If you set Drayton thermostat to 21c which will work on timer from boiler or manual operating by increasing or decreasing
temprature.
If you start UHF thermostat from 0c to 20c this triggers Drayton thermostat in landing area will go anything 23c or 24c even set temperature is 21c.
Please help.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ericmark,
Yes. The under floor heating and the boiler is on the same fuse supply.
Do you think it should be separate?
Thank you.

I had assumed to start with UFH was with hot water from the boiler, in which case all from same fuse.

But if UFH is electric then likely completely independent from boiler.

Please note, under floor heating is water and not electrical.
I don’t understand why Drayton RF thermostat goes up?
Hope I am not boring you.

If it's a wet UFH system, is it linked to the boiler?

In which case, the wet UFH is in effect a radiator. But how is the UFH stat wired into the system?

In the main central heating is controlled by TRV and actuators the latter in turn controlled by wall thermostats, however if the TRV's are not linked then often there is also a wall thermostat to stop boiler cycling in warm weather, as TRV's can't turn boiler on/off only up/down or once at minimum it will start to cycle on/off but it can't turn boiler fully off.

Where there is UFH there is often a wiring centre 1701054390211.png unlike the wiring centres for non UFH these often have a series of relays, and are quite complex see here to see a bit more however it does not need to be so complex, and I have seen the the UFH part is feed from the radiator return, however in the main the UFH has to be controlled in such a way that the floor can't exceed 27ºC so there is a manifold 1701054932583.pngand a second pump 1701055023747.pngand what happens is the water in the UFH is circulated and as it drops to under 27ºC more central heating water is added.

However with heat pumps the whole idea is never to heat the water that hot to start with, so there are a host of different systems, these are normally installed by a heating and ventilation engineer, the term engineer infers the guy is educated to over level 3, called higher education, HNC, HND, Degree etc. The systems design is over the normal expected from an electrician or plumber, although once designed an electrician or plumber may install them.

The same applies to things like solar panels, you may never see the design guy, he may well never leave the office and his drawing board, but he works out how it is all controlled, and the guys on site do as they are told.

Of course that does not mean all heating installers are university educated, there has been UFH for some time, the Hypocaust system was used by the Romans.

I know when house hunting I was very aware of the problems with DIY UFH, in the main lack of insulation under the heating pipes/mat, and I rejected some houses viewed due to lack of info on who had fitted it and how. I did in a way feel sorry for the sellers as they seemed to think UFH was a selling point, where in fact the reverse was the case.

I have looked at the pictures you have posted, and it does not tell me a thing, and not sure pictures ever would, I remember trying to get my mothers CH to work as it should, my own house worked well, but as I looked at my mothers house I realised hers was very different, main thing she had doors between down stairs rooms, where my house at the time was open plan, I did work it out in the end, it was down to setting the lock shield valves in the main, but the main problem was speed, the radiator was heating up too fast for the TRV to regulate it, and it was over shooting as a result.

We see pictures of how the heat goes into a room circulation3.jpg but with UFH that clearly does not happen, so the idea of having the wall thermostat on opposite wall to radiator, or slightly to one side and near bottom of radiator (the TRV) does not work, this is why the heating and ventilation engineer have to spend so long learning their profession, it is beyond the skills required for a trade.

Hi Ericmark,
I am very grateful for your detailed information about UHF and CentRao Heating system.
I now understand how the system works.
I will leave as it is and see if crops up with any problem In future.
Once again many thanks for your help.

Hello,
We have Combi Central Heating which works fine. Kitchen has Under Floor Heating (Water) buy when you raise temprature for UHF to 15*c after sometime you notice that temprature rises itself to 24 *c on central heating thermostat, even though you have set temrature to 22*c.
Please can anybody advise what may be wrong. Do you think I need new thermostat for central heating which is Drayton RF.
Many Tuhanks.

Has the system been working properly or is it new to you?

Presuming you do have 2 x zone valves on your system? This allows separate control of floor and rest of the house.
They look something like this:

Zone Valves

Hello Mr Chris,
Many thanks for your response.
Originally the problem started when UHF failed to come on and blew the 3 amp fuse switch which has connection with combi boiler and UHF. Later on it started tripping the main fuse, it has been checked by Electrician and replaced by 5 amp fuse which has been working fine.
I am attaching a photo which I presume is the valve.
Please let me know your opinion.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpeg
    IMG_0729.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 20
Sounds like it could be an issue with the user not understanding how UFH works, generally. It would be expected for the temperature in an UFH room to overshoot with a "dumb" thermostat and a "blast on, turn off" pattern of use like radiators. It would be worse if the input flow temperature is high

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back