central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My IDEAL-W system is 27 years with 2 motorised valves
During winter HW and CH is on during day
Nights, HW is switched off and CH set at 8 deg.C

On Wed. morning (19th ) set the CH thermo back to 20 deg.C but no response.though the HW worked on switching it on
Checked the CH m-valve manually by moving the lever.I could not move, meaning the valve was still shut. So I moved the lever manually but it was tough. After 5-6 gentle attempts I managed to open with the power still on. Presto the CH started to work as well.

This morning (21st), CH was not working even with the thermo at 20 deg.C
Even the HW did not work when swiched on.I checked the HW valve by moving the lever, it was opened (very lose movement)
Then I checked the lever of CH (movement was tight suggesting it was not opened), but I did not try to open it because previously I found it difficult, in case I break the lever.
Then 5 mts into reading the manual I heard the boiler firing and it was happily purring away. Touch wood it is still so.
What may have been the problem? Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need a new ch valve. If you can remove the head, check the spindle turns easily, if not you need a complete unit.

Could be your valve is giving up. possibly the internal switch, or valve not moving physically due to sludge and corrosion.

Sponsored Links
Thanks gas4you and bengasman for your invaluable suggestion.
I will have a go at it past the Christmas hullaballoo as the heating is purring away happily.
Thanks again and wish you a Joyous Christmas and a happy new year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back