Ceramic floor tiles on top of disliked amtico vinyl?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year we laid amtico vinyl tiles in the shower room. They are an uncompromising white and we now want to cover them with grey ceramic floor tiles. Under the vinyl we laid new plywood.

Do we have to pull up the amtico (why?) or can we lay the ceramic tiles on top of it?

Sponsored Links
what thickness plywood did you use?

Not sure, as our builder did this as part of the shower room refit - but think it was pretty thick - does the required thickness differ for vinyl and ceramic tile?

Sponsored Links
The vinyl floor is flush with the hall carpet. Ideally I'd like to be able to tile over the vinyl to avoid damaging the wall tiles if the vinyl is ripped out. What's the spec of plywood for floor tiles? - I could ask the builder what he used.

flush with the carpet then i would guess 4-6mm plywood. ceramic tiles need more like 16mm+ depending on how much flex in subfloor, you will need to over board with a thicker plywood. If you go over the top of everything then you will end up with a inch step going into your bathroom, if this is not a problem then just over board the lot, if it is a problem then you need to uplift everything first.

Thankyou - if the plywood is the ocrrect dimension, and the difference in height between room and hall is not an issue - is it possible to tile over the vinyl or is this a no no . I'm guessing theb latter but just want this one piont cleared up.

Thanks - and the detail on tiling is very helpful indeed

if you already have the correct plywood down then i would over board the amtico with a 4mm plywood to solve any other problems, you should not tile direct to a waterproof plastic like amtico

If you have the correct ply under you amtico, then there's no point in overboarding. You'll need a flexible adhesive to go over the tiles but it should stick fine to the amtico. Your area of weakness is the amtico to ply bond, not the tile to amtico bond. Ideally you want to take up the amtico though.

Ok - so if I take up the vinyl, how do I remove the amtico tiles without causing any damage to the wall tiles or to the shower tray exterior wall?

Do I try to prise them up with a flat knife? do I need some solvent? As the shower room was gutted and refurbed only last year I really don't want to strip out anything more than I have to.

thanks

If you have the correct ply under you amtico, then there's no point in overboarding. You'll need a flexible adhesive to go over the tiles but it should stick fine to the amtico. Your area of weakness is the amtico to ply bond, not the tile to amtico bond. Ideally you want to take up the amtico though.

i would of said the otherway round myself gcol, depending on what adhesive was used to glue the amtico down, you have no chance of lifting the amtico off the plywood without wrecking the plywood. I would also guess that if the amtico was fitted correct it would of been sealed so your sticking to the strength of the seal.

I would say over board to be safe, but if gcol thinks the other way then you need to flip a coin on what you think is best, or get a pro in to see what they think.

I'm beginning to regret buying the ceramics - I might be better off returning them and chosing a vinyl that I can live.

So ... if I get another vinyl, can I lay it on top of the amtico?

If you have the correct ply under you amtico it won't matter either way if you overboard or not - the flexible tile adhesive will stick fine to the amtico or ply.

I'm beginning to regret buying the ceramics - I might be better off returning them and chosing a vinyl that I can live.

So ... if I get another vinyl, can I lay it on top of the amtico?

No. the two will react together, you will need to over ply with 4mm. Or use isolator membrane between the two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back