certificate for fitting a new gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had recently a new boiler fitted by a corgi registered engineer, he has not filled in the manufactures installation comissioning service record log book.The building inspector wants a copy of it .
The engineer has still two radiators to fit but does not come when he arranges to come and now does not answer the phone when i call him.
Now the question , legally is he obliged to fill in this certificate as he fitted the boiler? We don't owe him enough money so may he does not feel like finishing the job.
So what to do now?

Sponsored Links
If, he is Corgi registered tell him you are going to phone Corgi, you can get their number by doing a google.

The RGI should notify Corgi and they in turn notify the Building inspector.

He should notify it to CORGI, but is not legally obliged to do so.

He could if he so wished notify it direct to building control, but this would probably cost him dearly.

I think a firm but polite letter stating your concerns and fulfillment of the contract you have entered into with him being honored should be your next port of call.

This is one i've still not got my head round,

We notify Corgi who inturn notify the building control.

So as with this post and on my last 5 new builds why does building control always demand a copy of gas safety cert.

Why are we bothering to notify when building control are demanding copies and not charging us.

Sponsored Links

He could if he so wished notify it direct to building control, but this would probably cost him dearly.

I think a firm but polite letter stating your concerns and fulfillment of the contract you have entered into with him being honored should be your next port of call.

Thank you for your advise , will drop a note to him, the building inspector needs to have a copy of the certificate with all the tests done with readings from the boiler , so he has to come to test the boiler to get the readings ,he ofcourse needs to have our boilers service record book which he does not have , we have it.
We had an extension built and building inspector saw the new boiler being fitted.I gather this certificate is needed before the building control will give us completion certificate. It will be needed when the house is sold.

Thank you for your advise , will drop a note to him, the building inspector needs to have a copy of the certificate with all the tests done with readings from the boiler , so he has to come to test the boiler to get the readings ,he ofcourse needs to have our boilers service record book which he does not have , we have it.
We had an extension built and building inspector saw the new boiler being fitted.I gather this certificate is needed before the building control will give us completion certificate. It will be needed when the house is sold.

If the boiler is not part of the extension then it is nothing to do with the building inspector :eek: Assuming the RGI is an RGI then he must notify Corgi as per the conditions of his registration, or he can notify building control direct, either way he has to notify somebody.

The service record book has nothing to do with the building inspector, and I think you may mean the log book and commissioning records.

You do not need a completion certificate to sell the house under HIP unless the property is 5 beds or more, it will change however, and it's not a bad idea to have one.

You need to put pressure on the installer, and check his Corgi number on their web site.

Hi thanks for your comments , the boiler is part of the new extension and the building inspector said to me he will not sign off the works without a copy of the service /commissioning book which has all the tests on the boiler also the engineer has to SIGN it ,for him to notify corgi alone is no use .
When the engineer was here last time he said he needs to test the boiler to get the readings and promised but still has not done so.
Maybe he is not very experienced ?he said he has to send the commissioning book to corgi who in turn would notify building inspector.
But alas he does not answer the phone, why not just say he will not complete the job?for what ever reason .
I have just left him another message to call me .

I have spoken to corgi , and they say the installer should notify corgi within 21 days of installing a new boiler , according to their record he has not done so. The boiler was installed 7th april 2008.
I was advised to write to corgi ,they will register it and advise accordingly.
The engineer is registered with corgi .

I have spoken to corgi , and they say the installer should notify corgi within 21 days of installing a new boiler , according to their record he has not done so. The boiler was installed 7th april 2008.
You would have saved yourself alot of bother if you ask him to produce his corgi card to start with.

You would have saved yourself alot of bother if you ask him to produce his corgi card to start with.

How would that have saved him any bother?

Yes if ONLY ! Why not just do a decent honest job ? Bad reputation travels fast around here!
I have texted him to say I will call at his house this evening as he does not answer my calls , not taking no for an answer!

It looks like good news . I called corgi to complain about the engineer ,they said that if I wrote to them they would notify our council building control department !
Then ...some time afterwards I got a message from the heating engineer to ask why did I have to report him ? He has now agreed to come tomorrow to finish the job and complete the certificate. Hurraaaa
So I am keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow!

:LOL: YES HE HAS ARRIVED :LOL: AND IS FINISHING THE JOB , PITY I HAD TO CALL CORGI TO COMPLAIN , STILL IT BROUGHT HIM TO FINISH THE WORK , I 'LL MAKE HIM SOME TEA !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back