Certificate for temporary generator installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, wonder if you can help?

Had 2 phase go down on a distribution cable at one of the schools I regularly work at yesterday and the result was needing to get a 115kva generator in situ temporarily. The cable had been jointed somewhere and it appears that that has failed. (0.0Mohms across phases).

All is well, and everyone is happy that the power is back, however the clerk of the works has asked for a certificate for the temporary installation.

Of course when I installed it yesterday I took all the necessary reading and made the observations required for a cert, but I am not sure what cert is needed? I thought I'd google to see if a supplier had any but I had no luck.

It seems to me that using a normal installation cert wouldn't really be practicle as a lot of the data wouldn't apply, and there is additional data of which I feel would apply in these circumstances.

Longshot, but I may have to create one?

Sponsored Links
Entertainment and related purposes? :LOL:
Why can't you use a normal EIC?

All is well, and everyone is happy that the power is back, however the clerk of the works has asked for a certificate for the temporary installation.

Sounds like a typical busybody who doesn't really know what he/she wants. As per above, you could probably just issue an EIC.

Sponsored Links
Fitted many large generators and we had to hire tester to test the earth rod. Of course the earth provided by normal supplier can't be used and a earth loop impedance meter can only be used with TT system does not work with TN-S as nothing to measure against. So it was pace out the 30 meters etc and stick in probes job.
We had a form to record the plus and minus positions of test probes to show it had been read correct and it was this record of earth spike readings the electrical engineers wanted to see above all else.
They wanted the settings of the RCD also recording to show with an earth fault the supply would automatic disconnect.
Most the generators had settable RCD's both current and time.
One problem was when we didn't use earth rods. Sometimes there were connections to main girders of building really for lightning conductors and we would connect earth to these. In which case the length of cable required to test earth was far longer than supplied with test meter.
Normally the inspectors would accept this connection without a true reading as long as we had tested to show there was some kind of earth even if the three tests did not tally.

Entertainment and related purposes? :LOL:
Change a couple of headings like 'venue' and 'event' and BAM!
I gotta a cert that has a half for the existing installation (where the existing bonding etc needs to be recorded), and half a cert with details of the kVA, phases, are additional earth electrodes deployed etc.. if yes, give details. blah blah blah
Why can't you use a normal EIC?
Because it won't allow for the split details that I need to record.

There is a section of a bog standard EIC for recording electrode resistance to earth.
You'd need to treat the part fed by generator as a separate installation which would probably be a good idea anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back