Certification for Gas Fire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with a query I have please. I had a new balanced flue gas fire fitted in February this year. The installer was on the Gas Safe Register. He did a good job, and gave us a "Gas Safety Record, duly completed with all the details, and his reg. no. I expected to receive a Certificate either from Gas Safe, or the Building Control Dept, but have not received anything to date.

My question is this:. Is this "Gas Safety Record" all I get, or should there be another Certificate? I have spoken to the installer and he said that what I have is correct. My problem is that this installer has merrged with another Company, and is no longer listed under his original name on the Gas Safe Register, and I have contacted Gas Safe, they say they do not have a certificate for my property listed, and they say that he should have registered the appliance within 30 days of installation, They say I can apply to Building Control for a "Regulisation Certificate" but I would have to pay, and costs may be recoverable from the installer via trading standards, or a solicitor.

Is this necessary, or is the Gas Safety Record all I need.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with a query I have please. I had a new balanced flue gas fire fitted in February this year. The installer was on the Gas Safe Register. He did a good job, and gave us a "Gas Safety Record, duly completed with all the details, and his reg. no. I expected to receive a Certificate either from Gas Safe, or the Building Control Dept, but have not received anything to date.

The Gas Safety Record should be adequate for evidence of a safe installation, but does not show compliance with Building Regulatons for the installation of a heat producing appliance, which a prospective buyer may want to see if you sell the house in the future.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have done a bit more checking on this, and have spoken to GSR today. They have advise me he was registered at the time he fit my fire, and that he was qualified to do so. However they have advised that his registration has now lapsed (could not tell me when as not allowed), and that there is definitely no notification for my property.

They have advised me I need a Regularisation Certificate from Building Control. As I said I believe he has merged with another Company, and appears to still be working, although Gas Safe do not have him registered.

Is it possible that he can do a retrospective notification to BC as he was registered with gas safe when he fitted it, or not?

GSR have suggested I get a regularisation certificate from BC and try to recover the money from him via Trading Standards or a Solicitor.

This seems as if it will cost a fair amount of money, is there any other way around this mess

Ironically, It doesnt cost much to notify GSR, much less than it will BC, so why would he not notify the work.:confused: :confused:

Why do you need the certificate. Is it a rented property?

Sponsored Links
No, it is not a rented property, it is just that we are hoping to sell up next year, and I am trying to get the paperwork sorted out, so that in the event we do sell, we have got everything needed.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

In that case your original certificate is as valid as you need. Certificates only last for 12 months so next year you will probably need to update it anyway.

Thanks Jeds, My understanding was that any flued appliance had to be notified to B/C, and that he should have notified it.

You say Certificates only last a year, does that mean then that B/C are only interested in the safety aspect, and not how it was installed? I will be getting it serviced in February 2011, and if I get something from the service engineer to say its safe - is this all that is required, should I wish to sell up?

Thanks in advance.

Gas installations are not notifible providing the installer is gassafe registered. The gassafe engineer self certificates the work.

Gas installations are not notifible providing the installer is gassafe registered. The gassafe engineer self certificates the work.

That's kind of half true jeds. The gassafe engineer self certificates the work and then notifies gassafe of the installation. This then triggers a notification to LABC so they are also notified and have a record of the self certificated work even though they have never been involved. Same goes for FENSA and the PART P scams IIRC.

Thanks Hotrod, This was my belief also. This is how I have got caught out. The engineer was Gas Safe Registered when he fitted the fite, however it would appear from Gas Safe that he did not notify them of the work, hence the fact that they have not issued the Certificate required, as they have no record of work being done at my property by this installer.

Would anyone know if it is possible for the Installer to retrospectively notify Building Control of the work, and pay their fee?

Hi all,

Thought I would give everyone an update. Spoken to Gas Safe Register who have confirmed that the enginner was indeed registered at the time he fitted the fire, but he has not notified them of the work. While I am sure the work is safe I would like the Certificate.

GSR have advised me that Installers can notify work done up to a year ago using their system, so all may not be lost. I have spoken to the installer, and he says he will notify GSR, time will tell, but I will hound him until he does. I want the Certificate

Thanks for all the advice.

PS. Just as an asside, If I need a regularisation certificate from building control, it will cost £149.63, so there is a vast difference in the costs.

Strange way of looking at it.

The lesson to be learned is not to pay the installer until the LABC building regs certificate is issued.

If the installer is unable to notify LABC then I would send him an invoice for the cost of regularisation and follow up in smalls claim court if neccessary.

well at least the last 2 are proper and proffessional replies, cheers guys for sticking up for whats right with your proffession

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back