Certification question for Scottish Electricians, please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Would anyone know if there is a legal requirement for an electrician in Scotland to provide any paperwork after installing a new fusebox in a privately owned house for the owner?

Cannot seem to get a definative answer anywhere, including the electricians at my work.

Thanks in advance

Fluff

Sponsored Links
Not too sure on what is required in Scotland but believe that a building warrant is required in some cases. I would at least expect an Electrical Installation Certificate though as the work completed by an electrician will most likely be to BS7671, which is the UK electrical regulations.

I was going to post the link in the wiki for Building Warrants in Scotland but it appears broken. Best bet might be to have a look around the home owners section at this site. :?:

I don't believe there is, although any decent electrician should provide one anyway. There is a legal requirement for work to be done to building regs, and a way of demonstrating this is to work to BS7671, which requires that certs are produced.

If the work needs a building warrant then a cert will be needed to get the completion certificate.

Indeed the link to the document advising which works need a warrant seems to be broken but there is no specific mention of CU replacement in this document anyway.

Why do you ask?

thanks for the replies.

skenk - the woman that I work with had a new fuse box fitted. She asked the electrician for an installation certificate but he said that he has no requirement to supply anything except an invoice.

Asked 2 electricians at work. One said that a certificate should be given, another said that this is not required.

Therefore she is abit confused.

thanks

fluff

Sponsored Links
The electrician who added the circuit for my central heating boiler gave me a minor works certificate (he was subcontracted to BG). If I got a certificate for that, I would think you'd get one for a new CU!

She asked the electrician for an installation certificate but he said that he has no requirement to supply anything except an invoice.
Ask her to find out if he's registered with SELECT or NICEIC.

thanks for the replies.
skenk - the woman that I work with had a new fuse box fitted. She asked the electrician for an installation certificate but he said that he has no requirement to supply anything except an invoice.
fluff

Sounds like a cheeky b****r!

Alarm bells ringing - if he was any good (and actually had test equipment) the least i'd expect would be to offer one for a few extra ££ (still any good spark should supply one as standard imo).

Did she get a written quote (what did it say)? Do you know how much they charged?

A picture or 3 of the fusebox, cover off and surrounding area would let us be able to tell you if it's a complete bodge.

EIC is a requirement when working to '7671, yes. However BS7671 is not a legal requirement in itself, it's a British Standard . . .

I don't have a copy of BS7671 with me at the minute but I have a feeling its a requirement to test and inspect the work but not a requirement to hand a copy of the results to the customer.

That said, any half decent electrician would hand certification over to the customer upon payment.

Hi guys

Thanks for all your advice. The spark is coming back to give my friend some sort of certificate for the work.

Thank you

Fluff

I don't have a copy of BS7671 with me at the minute but I have a feeling its a requirement to test and inspect the work but not a requirement to hand a copy of the results to the customer.
631, 632, 633 are pertinent, and in there it says the paperwork 'shall be given to the person ordering the work' which, to my reading, is a typically regulation-speak way of saying customer.

OK. I'm lacking a copy of BS7671 so couldn't check.
That's fair enough.

I'd also say it was an implied term of the contract between customer and supplier that the testing certificates are provided to the customer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back