Certification question for Scottish Electricians, please

EIC is a requirement when working to '7671, yes. However BS7671 is not a legal requirement in itself, it's a British Standard . . .

Cheers Skenk. I was aware of the fact that working to BS7671 is not a legal requirement but would have expected any spark who was working to it to provide an EIC to the customer. Didn't know that some don't provide it although i've heard of some sparks making it an additional cost which sounds a bit naughty to me.

Sponsored Links
Depends if the work was done as part of a warrant. If so, then certain Councils (I know Mid Lothian does) will require the EIC to sign off the warrant. The Select scheme isn't worked in all regions,

If it's outside warrant then I'd have expected a EIC since it proves the safety of the installation by compliance with BS7671. It follows that such a cert offers value to the property should it be sold on.

Some Councils in Scotland (I believe) would insist that any rewire would need a warrant in it's own right(under tha tag major home works). A bit like English LABC's requiring details of English electrical work beyond a MWC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back