Certifications for domestic lighting etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and girls,

I'm looking for some advice as I've recently bought my first home and I'd like to fit some new lights in most of the rooms. I know that I could get a professional in to do this, but I enjoy a bit of DIY and would like to get my hands dirty and learn about the electrics around the house. None of the work is urgent, so I can afford to spend some time learning before it needs doing.

What I need to know is, what qualification/certification do I need to be able to legally do this? I understand that domestic work needs certifying and I'd like to be able to do this myself.

Any recommendations on where I could take a course would also be appreciated. I live in Leeds, so anywhere around Yorkshire would be ideal (though I can travel if necessary)

Thanks in advance!

Gareth

Sponsored Links
If you're just replacing light fittings then you don't need any qualifications, and no certificates are required. All you need is a reasonable understanding of what you're working with and the various ways lighting circuits can be wired.

There's lots of good information in our wiki and ban-all-sheds will hopefully point you in the direction of a few more resources for you to read up on.

Always ask questions on here first rather than charging headlong into something and getting stuck, possibly damaging parts of your wiring or switches, and putting yourself in danger.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back