CH not working intermittently in evening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my entire heating system replaced last year. Chucked out dated single panel radiators, ripped out the pipework (zinc/truwell stuff) and replaced the boiler which had died (PCB board).

I've now got a Viessmann 111-w boiler, column radiators and copper pipework (10mm microbore with 15mm tails up to rads)

Around 2 months ago the usual heating schedule kicked in but the heaters didn't warm up. I bled the radiators, re-pressurised the system and all was well for a short time. A few days later the same thing happened and this intermittent problem has been with me since.

No problems with the hot water and for some reason there isn't an issue with the heating coming on in the morning. Only at night when the schedule kicks in at around 4.30pm. The heating will come on for a couple of hours maybe then just stop.

I've tried resetting everything numerous times to no avail. When I stand next to the boiler once things have come back on and the thermostat calls for heat the boiler just doesn't fire up. I can hear some water circulation in the boiler maybe.

Any ideas?

Plumber came out a couple of weeks ago to service the boiler and he found no issues when I mentioned this to him. I called Viessmann and they helped me check the settings and found no problems. Hive customer support found no issues either.

Sponsored Links
the micro switch in the diverter valve either being triggered or the contacts being burnt/dirty

Last edited:
Could be some detritus in the system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back