CH now not working again after new batteries fitted in thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister last night said that her central heating wasnt working.
What she means is the radiators are all cold.

She looked at the timer / thermostat item on the wall if thats the correct name for it & said the battery icon was flashing.
She fitted new batteries & set the time etc again then in 10 minutes time she messaged me to say the radiators are now getting warm.

DANFOSS TP5E

This morning she messaged me to say that the display had changed back to 23.25
She also sent me a short video clip & i see the battery icon was flashing again.

Attached is the item in question.
Has anybody come across this before & what steps should now be taken.

It seemed last night when batteries & time set etc sorted itself out but unsure of this mornings actions

Attachments

• EaseUS_2023_10_25_10_14_10.jpg
    EaseUS_2023_10_25_10_14_10.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
First q has to be how new are those batteries? First action is for her to head for the shop and buy a pack of batteries (Aldi price on Duracell is ok at the mo) and try them. 99% certain that'll fix the problem

I asked her that and she said she had just bought them.
I will tell her to go buy Duracell and try.

She also said this.
There are more than 24 hours & more than 59 minutes.

Make any sense to you

She also said this.

Make any sense to you
Some of those controllers need a reset after a battery change- annoying cos you lose your custom programming but tis what it is.
Danfoss TP5EManual here

Sponsored Links

She also said this.

Make any sense to you
Obviously not the right settings then

As above, need decent quality alkaline batteries, not cheap zinc batteries

It seemed last night when batteries & time set etc sorted itself out but unsure of this mornings actions

Those Kodak batteries are about as cheap, and useless as can be bought. Pound shop?

Suggest she buys and fits some decent ones. For low cost batteries, which seem OK, I buy JCB alkaline batteries, from Home Bargains.

Aldi own-brand alkaline batteries are best value, and very good. In "Which" tests, Duracell are almost as good as Aldi, but twice the price. Kodak are a "don't buy."

It is an advantage to use a nylon toothbrush with a trace of WD40 (spray a tiny bit into a saucer and rub the brush on it) to clean the terminals in the device, and the ends of the batteries, each time you change them. Do not spray into the device. The amount of dirt should be imperceptible, but you can wipe it away with a tissue. You can also spin the batteries a few times with your thumb to rub the terminals together.

Wireless controls are rather prone to losing contact and needing to be re-connected.

Surprisingly, Duracell are not quite the same size as industry standard, and in some cases they do not fit devices perfectly.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back