CH pressure problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I got a Worsceter boiler (sp?) with a pressure gauge from 0 - 4 bar, which has been dropping in pressure.

Recently 2 radiators have been taken off (not by me) and the pressure previously was fine ( so i have been told).

I have refitted the radiators, bled and topped up the system, i turned the heating on and the pressure shoots up to 3.5 bar ( red area starts at 3).

Even with the heating turned off, the pressure still goes up slowly ( mains pipe is disconnected!

Any advice woud be welcome, ive got a baby due in Jan and trying to keep costs to the minimum but want to make sure the system is working to keep the baby warm??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Firstly, contrary to popular belief, babies do not need to live in centrally heated houses otherwise man would have died out when they lived in caves! Keep babies well wrapped up and feed them regularly.

It sounds as if the plate heat exchanger is leaking. Thats a common fault on older Worcester (sp ) boilers.

That answer is based on your information as supplied.

If you turn off the mains water into the boiler AND turn on a hot tap then the pressure should stop rising.

Tony

its and old leaky and drafty house lol thats what im basing my baby paranoia on :)

If your prognosis is correct, what sort of cost would i be looking at to get it fixed..

Baby or not its fooking cold, got lots of little jobs to do, including fitting a new draft free front door to help :)

Just turned the heating on and pressure went from 1 bar to 3.5 in about 20 minutes. Mains fill is disconnected, when i turned the hot water tap on ( after turning off the heating ) the pressure dropped rapidly..

Sponsored Links
Come to think of it where I lived and went to school we only had a coal fire in the living room and no central heating. But I survived as did all the other kids in the street! My neighbour lived to 93 without any central heating!

based on what you have told me you have two faults! A leaking plate heat exchanger and a faulty or discharged expansion vessel.

You have not stated the model but I am assuming a 24cdi or similar.

You may be better off with a fixed price Worcester (sp) repair at about £220.

If you were in our local area we would charge about £230 based on my guesses of the likely cost of parts.

Many would suggest a new boiler might be a good alternative as long as its not a W-B Junior!

Tony.

Come to think of it where I lived and went to school we only had a coal fire in the living room and no central heating. But I survived as did all the other kids in the street! My neighbour lived to 93 without any central heating!
Tony.

am just paranoid about it!! first baby an all... pre protective parent jitters lol :)

Babies are very hardy!

A baby was born on the 394 bus a few days ago.

The baby was called Dennis after the make of bus! Maybe you could call yours Worcester ( or Wooster ) after your boiler?

Picture of bus driver holding the baby and the mother!

baby_born_on_bus-300x187.jpg

Any advice woud be welcome, ive got a baby due in Jan and trying to keep costs to the minimum but want to make sure the system is working to keep the baby warm??
If you are worried about the baby not being warm, the answer is simple: Find yourself a good, reliable, local heating engineer, ask him to service the boiler, and tell you what else needs doing to make the heating reliable.
Old boilers, cheap diy, comfortable heating do not go together.

If you are worried about the baby not being warm, the answer is simple: Find yourself a good, reliable, local heating engineer, ask him to service the boiler, and tell you what else needs doing to make the heating reliable.
Old boilers, cheap diy, comfortable heating do not go together.

I would never think of touching a boiler!!! just dont understand why its not working. It was working last year, but now seems to be playing up!

Thanks

I was talking to a client on his doorstep this evening and this fox wandered into the front garden , nosed about a bit, then walked over to the bins and then went out.

It did not take any notice of us !

Evidently had no interest in heating problems !

why buy a dog and bark yourself?

You've never met my dog, huge great black big german shepherd..............scared of its own shadow..... lol :rolleyes:

on a serious note though, thanks very much for the help guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back