CH rads alternate between running hot/cold

all my home is important to me..which parts of your home are not important to you?

As is mine, but I don't have to have them all at the same temperature, nor at temperature by the same time. Zoning where there are multiple floors is a desirable way to do it, because heat rises.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
22mm primary circuit (flow/return) with tee's off to secondary circuits on each rad...These secondary circuits are 15mm but a few rads have a 10mm loop (22-15-10 reduction) so 16 in total, 5 have 10mm loops.

5 of the secondary circuits have 10mm loops so 22mm to 10mm reducing tee. Only 1 of those circuits is not working but this particular circuit is different in that it has to push up a floor (just the way the pipes were laid initially and can't be fixed without major upheaval). This non working loop is also connected by what might be described as a close couple tee arrangement (which is 22-15-10 reduction). The close couple tee next to this circuit has the same 22-15-10 arrangement and is working just fine but it does not have to push water up through another level.

So this season, different rads on the exact same secondary circuits are alternating hot/cold (on-off) (proving that there are no issues with TRV's or blockages) .

Secondary circuits that are further down (actual end) the primary circuit are working as they should so does this prove that the pump is sufficient and that decoupling is not required?

22mm primary flow circuit temperature should be pretty much the same at the first rad as the last. What will be different is the temp of the secondary circuit return into the primary return.

In order to flow through this secondary circuit, it must need a pressure differential right? so pressure at start must be higher than the end point or how else can it flow!

If the pressure differential is not there, then no flow but what if there is reverse flow from the primary return onto that secondary circuit. It would have the same effect of pushing water back against the flow and so stopping the flow through.
Are these valid assumptions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back