CH - tapping/dripping sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My combi CH/DHW has been working OK, but has recently started making strange noises. A few minutes after you turn the heating on, you can hear the sound of tapping and dripping in the pipework. It's particularly bad on the main bedroom radiator, the small bedroom radiator, and the pipes which join the ground and first floor radiators. Once the system is up to temperature, it's fine.

The boiler is a Ravenheat RSF84ET, connected to seven radiators, none of which have TRVs. There is an RF stat in the hall. The min/max gas pressure settings are OK on the gas valve (indeed, the DHW works well) and the CH burner pressure is at the minimum setting. Pump is on speed 2, although speed 1 doesn't make it any quieter. There are no leaks that I am aware of, as I do not need to top-up the system. All the rads get nice and hot, and clean water comes out if I try to bleed the system.

I did wonder if the noise was pipe expansion - maybe rubbing on joists or floorboards. However, it never used to do this, so why would it suddenly start? Is there any way to identify the source of the noise? What else could it be?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back