CH/ water on/ off whilst on holiday.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've checked Wiki and previous posts but can't find an exact match to my question, so...

We're going away for a few days next month. I want to leave the CH on low in case we get a cold snap so that the house doesn't feel like a Siberian gulag when we get back, but I'd prefer to turn the water off at the mains to guard against any unforeseen bursts.

We have an open vented system with F and E tank, plus hot water storage cylinder. All the pipes and tanks in the loft are well lagged.

In normal operation (ie, no apparent leaks in the system, heating on for a couple of hours in every 24 hour period and roomstat set at, say 15 degrees), would it be possible for the F and E tank to run dry if CH is left running but the water is turned off for a week?

My instinct is No, but I don't want to take the chance lest it be Yes. If the F and E tank DID run dry, what would this do to the boiler?

Also thinking about the condensing pipework outside and thinking boiler best left on to negate any possibility of that freezing. It is lagged.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back