CH work - not Corgi - how far can I go!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm a qualified plumber, but not a qualified gas engineer.

I always believed that I was OK to work on radiators etc. on the central heating circuit. However, I have had a recent incidence where after draining down and moving some pipework, I discovered that the filling loop was faulty when I came to refill. I switched off the boiler whilst I changed the filling loop causing the pilot light to go out! I then had a real hard time trying to reignite the pilot, eventually having to remove the cover and manually light the pilot.

Anyway, it concerns me to get involved with boilers, so does anyone know the correct procedure here? Do I stop work and get a gas engineer? or should I refuse CH work on obviously old & tempremental looking systems?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Graham

Sponsored Links
GrahamT said:
Hi

I'm a qualified plumber, but not a qualified gas engineer.

I always believed that I was OK to work on radiators etc. on the central heating circuit. However, I have had a recent incidence where after draining down and moving some pipework, I discovered that the filling loop was faulty when I came to refill. I switched off the boiler whilst I changed the filling loop causing the pilot light to go out! I then had a real hard time trying to reignite the pilot, eventually having to remove the cover and manually light the pilot.

Anyway, it concerns me to get involved with boilers, so does anyone know the correct procedure here? Do I stop work and get a gas engineer? or should I refuse CH work on obviously old & tempremental looking systems?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Graham

i cant see any problem in taking the cover off and lighting a pilot as long as you are competent in putting the cover back on.

after checking that the seals are intact...that is if you know where to look..

Strictly speaking you should NOT open the combustion chamber.

In any case if the pilot does not relight with the ignition then thats still a fault and should be repaired.

Other water based faults on a boiler like changing a pump or diverter valve you can do as long as you do not interfere with the gas train.

Its always better to have a friendly local CORGI engineer who will help you out and to whom you can refer gas jobs in return.

Tony

Sponsored Links
aww go on agile accroding to you argument about gas meter moves as long as you are competent and no one can ever find out you can do what you like to what you like ;)

I am jesting according to corgi unless you are a RGI you must not touch any part of a gas installation the DIRECTLY affects the operaton of said appliance or the safety features of said appliance

mind you that could mean you cannot change a pump!!!!!!!!

so who the eff knows these days, just pop up to no 10 downing st and give the arsehole who lives there all your cash and you will be fine to work on gas and you will probably end up as Lord Grahamt of gas an all

its all a pills and an effing joke at the moment :)

im a corgi reg engerneer. Technically if you carry out "work " on a gas appliance then you have to be corgi registered.
The term "work" meaning you are recieving a reward for the job you are doing.
If you are relight a gas appliance then i suppose that is ok if you are the occupier. But if you are a plumber who is working there then i suppose you are being classed as commisioning an appliance. Which means work. unfortunatly we are caught up in all this stupid red tape. Why can't we go back to common sense. :rolleyes:

I dont often have a rant but...

This evening I went to a new boiler which was installed by a non-registered builder a few days ago.

The flue is not cut off or sealed around the hole and it discharges 300 mm below a conservatory roof which extends effectively at least 2000 mm in the closest direction to any fresh air.

This is very dangerous BUT there is nothing I can do about it !!!

CORGI are not interested because the owner has not called them.

HSE are not interested because the builder is not identified.

The EHO is not interested because they have no gas experience and too much problem from dirty restaurants in that area.

The only good thing is that the builder damaged the boiler and its not working!

Tony

Agile said:

Tony

Well, can't you put it right for the bloke.

Agile said:
I dont often have a rant but...

This evening I went to a new boiler which was installed by a non-registered builder a few days ago.

The flue is not cut off or sealed around the hole and it discharges 300 mm below a conservatory roof which extends effectively at least 2000 mm in the closest direction to any fresh air.

The EHO is not interested because they have no gas experience and too much problem from dirty restaurants in that area.

The only good thing is that the builder damaged the boiler and its not working!

Tony

So can we assume, you notified the owner, asked for permission to cap the appliance and issued a warning notice as per current regulations.

I would do all those things if I was paid but as he employed a cheap third world builder he is certainly not going to pay me at our western rates!

The boiler is not working because of a self inflicted electrical fault !

Tony

You stated that you attended the boiler, therefore you have a duty of care to advise the owner and issue a warning notice, regardless of payment.

Thanks for the feedback although the topic has strayed somewhat. I'd like to think that my initial concern was a long way from deliberately and illegally installing a gas appliance.

Cheers,

Graham

GrahamT said:
Thanks for the feedback although the topic has strayed somewhat. I'd like to think that my initial concern was a long way from deliberately and illegally installing a gas appliance.

Cheers,

Graham

Had I been in your position, I would have done the same, however it would make me wary of future work involving heating systems.

lads a topic close to my heart, i am also a C.O.R.G.I. rgd. installer (for what its worth ! ). there have been three installations of gas boilers within 500yds of my house in the last six months done by unregistered installers.I have reported all three to C.O.R.G.I. & guess what ? bugger alls happened, apparently, C.O.R.G.I. wright to the homeowners asking if they can do a free check on the installation that they believe to have been installed illegally. If the householder ignores the request, thats it, theres sod all they can do.
Ahh well i suppose weel have to wait for something to go bang & then perhaps our lax goverment might wake up & smell the coffee, keep safe lads & keep paying your C.O.R.G.I. fees, you know it makes sense yea right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back