Chainsaw blade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a second-hand chainsaw yesterday and while I was sharpening it and realising which way round the blade went, I thought it was on the wrong way round.

So I swapped it around to this:

It cuts fine and the chunks of wood fly to my feet. Is this right? I doubt myself because of the way round it was in the first place. Surely the bloke I bought it from wasn't using it with the blade the wrong way around?

Sponsored Links
the teeth will face forward as it comes out of the machine on the top of the blade. what make is it.

I did re-tension the chain and gave it a bit of a clean - cleared out debris. Otherwise it seemed in good shape.

It is an ALPINA PROF41.

Sponsored Links
if its a second hand saw, either sharpen it or get a new one. most people will use a chainsaw when its blunt and hardly ever sharpen it. thats when it doesnt cut properly and becomes dangerous

if its a second hand saw, either sharpen it or get a new one. most people will use a chainsaw when its blunt and hardly ever sharpen it. thats when it doesnt cut properly and becomes dangerous

notb665 said:
I bought a second-hand chainsaw yesterday and while I was sharpening it and realising which way round the blade went, I thought it was on the wrong way round.

So I swapped it around to this:

It cuts fine and the chunks of wood fly to my feet. Is this right? I doubt myself because of the way round it was in the first place. Surely the bloke I bought it from wasn't using it with the blade the wrong way around?

Agree totally, most accidents are caused by using blunt tools, which causes the operator to use too much force, which in turns causes jams or worse a chain snap. A chain saw should go through the material like a knife through microwaved butter. I'd get it serviced.

notb, dont get me wrong mate, but if you are unsure of which way the chain should be, are you really that used to using or servicing or sharpening a chain saw? Im not asking to be a pain in the bum, only thinking of your welfare mate.

notb, dont get me wrong mate, but if you are unsure of which way the chain should be, are you really that used to using or servicing or sharpening a chain saw? Im not asking to be a pain in the bum, only thinking of your welfare mate.

Sure. :LOL: Maybe I should have said "Look at this chainsaw, the bloke sold it me with the chain on backwards." It is just that I am incredulous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back