Chalk Paint, by Annie Sloan - genius or rip-off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently sort the advice of an artistic friend on the subject of choosing colours for the walls of my new flat. She's been to art school and I trust her colour judgment. So in the middle of our chat this morning, she whips out a catalogue for Annie Sloan and her Chalk Paint. To read about this product in their adverts, you'd think the stuff is magic - apparently, no prep. is required whatsoever - indeed, prepartion is advised against!
My initial reaction is that this sounds like the famous Stella Artois adverts - buy this stuff 'cos it's reassuringly expensive. In other words, this product is designed to appeal to 'boutique interior designers' who are always looking for a quick way to earn as much as they can, for as little effort. I put this theory to my chum Ken down my local, who's been a painter all his working life and he said, "I've never heard of Annie Sloan and if she thinks any paint is going to look any good after being put on without any prep, she doesn't have a clue what she's talking about."
Who should I believe - the adverts - or Ken?!

Sponsored Links
Despite what Annie Sloan's adverts say, I can assure you that if you paint furniture that has been polished with silicon furniture polish without any prep, the paint will flake off.

In other words, this product is designed to appeal to 'boutique interior designers'
That's exactly what it is.

Did some construction work in a property a few years ago which was then occupied by one of these outlets selling 'upcycled' painted furniture.
They sold the expensive Sloan paint as a sideline.

When it came to them actually painting the furniture they then sold, it was 10 litre tubs of cheap white emulsion from B&Q or similar, with a bit of colour added in to get the pastel shade required.
They sanded and cleaned before painting just as you would with any other paint.

Sponsored Links
Your replies are pretty much exactly what I thought you guys would say. Isn't it funny tho', that people are prepared to set aside their common sense and gobble up the PR - "Oh no,..." they say," you don't have to do any prep - in fact, it's better if you don't!" What I think they mean is, "Actually, I'm really lazy and a bit stupid, so when I heard that you don't have to, I just thought Brilliant - I hate doing things properly - it's such a bore!!" Meanwhile Annie is thinking, "Fab.!! If they don't prep the surface properly, the finish will come off inside 18 months and by that time they'll want another look and so I can sell them more of my rip-off products..." Or am I being cycnical?
Reminds me of Harry Enfield's sketches of the guy running the boutique in Notting Hill for bored housewives, Modern W***!

trust your mate Ken.
I have actually met Annie Sloan and she is a stuck up witch.
Chalk paint isn't very durable and marks up terribly, basically it's overpriced crap

Why would you want furniture in your house that looks like crap anyway? Leave alone your walls done in the stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back