Change lights in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that as far as part P is concerned that the bathroom is a "special" area and i'm not supposed to do any DIY electrical work in there. However, our current family bathroom has 3 wall mounted lights which as well as being ugly (previous owners choice) are probably also unsuitable for their current zone 2/3 locations.

My question is, can I legally just change the lights for appropriately rated ones without having to notify anyone. I do not intend to alter existing wiring. I guess the response might be, how would anyone know?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
The part P police know everything they are everywhere and you cannot escape their wrath.

Are you competent? can you test the circuit?
Will the next occupant want certification of any changes.

Qedelec said:
The part P police know everything they are everywhere and you cannot escape their wrath.
pum.gif
odpm_logo.gif
pum2.gif

On a strict reading of the regulations, swapping wall lights for new ones would appear to be notifiable. But given that even in a bathroom, the following are exempt:
  • replacing any socket-outlet, control switch or ceiling rose;
  • replacing a damaged cable for a single circuit only;
  • re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected;
  • providing mechanical protection to an existing fixed installation, where the circuit protective measures and current carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by the increased thermal insulation.
and given that the ODPM website says (erroneously, but there you go..) "You do not need to tell your local authority's Building Control Department about repairs, replacements and maintenance work", you're probably safe from having your door kicked in in the small hours...

can you test the circuit?
What testing? Stick to double-insulated fittings and you don't have to worry about whether the earth is connected, and you'll be no worse off, or less compliant than you are now.

Will the next occupant want certification of any changes.
How will they possibly know that the lights have been swapped?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back