Change of Business Use advice sought: what happens if only 1 floor leased?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is my first post on here, and I'm hoping someone can assist.

We are looking to move into a building which, currently, has D1 Planning Permission (non-residential institution), as a former College building.

The building has 3 floors.

We've put in an application to rent the middle floor.

However, we've been advise we should request Change of Use to 'Sui Generis'.

However, funds permitting, we'd like to expand to rent the top floor as well as soon as possible.

My question is....would we need to Change the Use a second time? Is it granted per space you rent, or is there a way we could have the use granted for the top floor ahead of actually renting it?

Any advice would be gratefully received

Thanks in advance,

Tim :)

Sponsored Links
Planning works in terms of "planning unit", and the unit to which the use class refers must be self contained. It's distinct from the process of renting and subdivision for renting.

You can't normally just divide up properties into floors and have different uses classes by floor. Well you could, but this would involve extensive work to physically partition off each unit and form a self-contained area, with its own address and services.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back