Change of Heating / Water programmer ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to change over my old 2 channel Honeywell 24hrs programmer for a 7 day job, so that i can better adjust for weekends etc.

The system is the type with a hot water tank in the airing cupboard

The current one is an old Honeywell with the 2 sliders (located in airing cupboard) and thermostat below in the hall, is there anyway to have just the one unit in the hall that does all the functions ? programmer and thermostat ? and pref on which unit to get ? i dont want to spend a fortune either !

cheers

simon

Sponsored Links
Be careful, most of those that combine a thermostat and programmer are for combi boilers, they don't have the timing controls for the hot water. It can be quite an involved wiring change too.

The easiest solution would be to change your existing two channel programmer for a new one with the facilities you require. As with most things you get what you pay for, so I would go with one of the well known makes such as Drayton, Honeywell or Danfoss. The Danfoss Randall CP715 is really easy to use and allows different times for heating and hot water on a day by day basis. It costs about £50

Hot Water times are usually changed very infrequently.

Leave the old timer in place for controlling the hot water and install a programmable stat in place of the existing stat for controlling the heating.

Wiring is simple: connect the new prog stat in place of the old one and move the wire in old timer CH ON terminal to the L terminal. If the old stat used a neutral, this will probably not be used on the new stat, so you need to make it safe.

Sponsored Links
Be careful, most of those that combine a thermostat and programmer are for combi boilers, they don't have the timing controls for the hot water. It can be quite an involved wiring change too.

The easiest solution would be to change your existing two channel programmer for a new one with the facilities you require. As with most things you get what you pay for, so I would go with one of the well known makes such as Drayton, Honeywell or Danfoss. The Danfoss Randall CP715 is really easy to use and allows different times for heating and hot water on a day by day basis. It costs about £50
Agree it's very easy to use, but have had 5 or 6 over the last 17 years so not overly reliable.

That's a programmable room thermostat, not just a programmer. But I can't see any specification, or information about what it actually does in the link you posted.

Agree it's very easy to use, but have had 5 or 6 over the last 17 years so not overly reliable.
I use three that are all over 5 years old, all still working well. (They can sometimes be upset by quick power blips)

Would this be suitable ? For the method above ?
The Salus prog-stat will do the job, but Salus equipment does not generally have a good reputation. The Honeywell CM907 is a more reliable product with a much better reputation. You can get a brand new one on Ebay for £56 (buy it now price).

sei1uk said:
is there anyway to have just the one unit in the hall that does all the functions ? programmer and thermostat?...The system is the type with a hot water tank in the airing cupboard.
The one in the link posted by sei1uk, looks like the Salus RT500 (I'm not sure what model it actually is, that's why I asked for details). I believe that this unit is for combi's and doesn't have a second channel to control the heating of stored hot water. Not familiar with the Honeywell CM907, but looking at wiring diagrams on line, I don't see wiring for hot water shown on that either.

sei1uk, if you do dispense with your existing programmer and install a unit that is a room thermostat and also a two channel programmer to operate hot water and central heating combined, you will have to run additional wires to the thermostat location. (Unless you go down the wireless route)

The one in the link posted by sei1uk, looks like the Salus RT500 (I'm not sure what model it actually is, that's why I asked for details). I believe that this unit is for combi's and doesn't have a second channel to control the heating of stored hot water.
If you read my last but one post you will see that I suggested retaining the existing programmer and fitting a CM907 prog stat for the heating. This is the most cost-effective solution.

Not familiar with the Honeywell CM907, but looking at wiring diagrams on line, I don't see wiring for hot water shown on that either.
I am surprised that you are unfamiliar with the CM9XX products, they have been available for over five years!

if you ... install a unit that is a room thermostat and also a two channel programmer to operate hot water and central heating combined, you will have to run additional wires to the thermostat location.
That's another good reason for retaining the existing prog for the HW.

I agree, if you look I suggested this right at the start, but the OP doesn't seem to want to go down that route. I know what a CM9XX is, I've just never used one.

I agree, if you look I suggested this right at the start, but the OP doesn't seem to want to go down that route.
All you suggested was just replacing the existing two channel programmer.

The OP seems to have taken my suggestion on board, otherwise he would not have asked about the Salus!

Personally, I don't like having a two channel programmer in place with only one channel being used, then controlling the heating from a different location to the water. It means setting the on/off times at two separate locations. Also, leaving a two channel programmer with the heating bit unused is a bit messy IMHO. But that's just my opinion perhaps sie1uk doesn't mind that.

Thanks alot everybody for your contributions, i went with the option of leaving the hot water programmer in the airing cupboard and a 7 day programable thermostat downstairs, got the Salus one i was talking about which only cost £23 new delivered off ebay.

Sorted the wiring out as instucted and it works a treat !

Just need to decide how long to put hot water on for now so i have hot water morning and night.

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back