Heating and Hot Water Controls Upgrade Advice

Can you recommend a combined 2 channel programmer/thermostat? Possibly a wireless one that I could use in place of the existing programmer and thermostat.

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/drayton-mitime-rf-pack-2-t720r/

Alternatively, if the current programmer is on the top floor, you could remove it from wall, extend cable upwards through ceiling, across loft and drop down into a more convenient location for programmer location. Poss another upstairs room, cupboard, etc. Then either keep current room stat or replace it with one of your choice.

Sponsored Links
Can you recommend a combined 2 channel programmer/thermostat? Possibly a wireless one that I could use in place of the existing programmer and thermostat.

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/drayton-mitime-rf-pack-2-t720r/

Alternatively, if the current programmer is on the top floor, you could remove it from wall, extend cable upwards through ceiling, across loft and drop down into a more convenient location for programmer location. Poss another upstairs room, cupboard, etc. Then either keep current room stat or replace it with one of your choice.

The mitime pack looks interesting and looks like that pack can be had for around the same price as a CM907 programmer.

Have you used that pack before?

I am thinking that the programmer could go where the existing stat is now, remove the old stat, remove the old programmer and place the RF stat wherever we want.

Based on my set up would it be easy enough to strip out the old stuff and put in the mitime programmer? Running new cable is fine and easy, as long as I know it can be connected to the system ok.

Animated Y-plan wiring to help you understand how your system works: http://octaveblue.co.uk/c_heating/

I will be fitting a MiTime programmer to my system soon but until then would be cautious in recommending one. Drayton have a good reputation though. I'll be using the 3/4 channel programmer which is not suitable for a Y-plan. You'll need the 2-channel. If you use the MiTime system you would bridge the existing thermostat connections in the junction box.

Once you understand the wiring it's not too complicated, one twin and earth permanent live and neutral to supply the programmer, and one 3 core and earth to take the outputs back to the junction box - HW ON, HW OFF and CH ON. All three are needed for a Y-plan.

Just bear in mind that your particular junction box may have the wires in different blocks to on the diagram! The circuit and how it works should be the same though, but your boiler may have a pump overrun in which case the pump will be connected to the boiler rather than the junction box.

Edited because I mixed up two different threads.

Cheers. Can I ask why you are going to go with the mitime?

I can't find many reviews on it and am not sure what features I would be losing, if any, going with the mitime over something like the cm907.

For example, I understand you can't set individual temperatures for different time settings on the mitime, where you can on the cm907. To be honest though I am not sure if that particular feature is useful anyway?

Sponsored Links
I find to be honest that I prefer time/temperature control over programmable stats. If you feel cold for example, maybe you have the flu, just nip over to the stat and turn it up a notch. Same but turn it down if you want to be cooler. Where as a programmable stat will return to its set temperature as soon as the time is up.

I've had a good look at the MiTime install and user manual, it wouldn't look bad on my living room wall, and I need a 3 channel programmer as I have 3 zones including HW. You can rename zones etc and have up to 4 on off periods per day. You can add up to 23 hours with the hour button, good if you're all going to take long baths or if you are having a late night. Whereas most programmers you can only add one hour. Plus, if you're getting the RF stat you can choose TP, TPI or on/off control (IIRC) to suit your needs. I'll be sticking with my current stats though as they work fine for me.

That said, I may dislike it when I get it, which is why I am cautious in recommending one until I've fitted mine.

If you would prefer a programmable stat, you could fit the Honeywell and get a single channel programmer for the hot water side.

BTW, if you're going to be waiting a couple of weeks, if all goes well I should be able to come back to this thread with more info if you like.

I think the mitime looks like a good bet for us.

I keep looking at the internet connected set ups though and wondering if its worth the extra expense.

Well I have received the MiTime 3/4 channel programmer, given it a quick test, set it up and fitted it and all looks good so far :)

Only thing is you can only add 3 hours to the time rather than the +23 I'd read about - wonder if someone made a typo in the manual or perhaps it's different on the 2-channel.

Hope that's useful info if you haven't bought one yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back