change of job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
for the last 10 years i've worked in a warehouse but hate it. i enjoy doing most diy projects and fancy a change in jobs. i wish to train for a 'trade'.. which trade is easier to pick up. i've done a bit of everything diy except plastering. so is it brick laying, electrics,chippy or plumbing ? i cant make my mind up so i hope some of your comments may help. thanks

Sponsored Links
All other things considered, it ultimately depends on your apptitude and what you enjoy doing most. Bear in mind that re-training for anything, requires dedication / study, and probably pretty poor wages for a considerable period of time. Don't be put off by anyone saying it can't be done, of course it can, it just depends on your circumstances / what you are prepared to put up with. Also bear in mind that doing DIY jobs is different from doing whatever your chosen trade is for a living.

To answer the question directly though, I don't think you should be looking for the easiest, if there is such a thing. Instead you should aim for something that will fulfil you.

mart104
all depends what you like doing , an how old you are ?

My personal choice if my life again would be same... bathroom fitter...

plumbers are ten a penny ,...

sparks, lots of training an building regs to adhere too..

plastering ok if you are VERY Fit an enjoy Hard work

brickies also good trade but you need to be a young lad in that game ,very hard graft

my recommend is do an NVQ to level 2 in plumbing , go on a tiling course is a must , then work with a GOOD Bathroom fitter ....

thanks for both replies.
i have looked into doing plumbing in the past but struggling to get into college due to lack of spaces and the fact they wont accept me as i'm not already an apprentice. Are those 5 day courses i've seen advertised any good or just a rip off.???

Sponsored Links
Would only teach you the very very basics. In other words, for basic DIY work, well OK, anything else, nowhere near I'm afraid.

go into landscaping! fresh air, keeps you fit, instant changes, get to play with lots of machinery, and you use a good all round spectrum of skills eg brickwork, rendering, carpentry etc etc (but dont do it if you live near me!)

Whatever you do, do it because you enjoy it not because its easy. If its easy everyone does it! People will tell you that you shouldnt change jobs, but its easy to stay put doing what you know. Plenty of people will give you advice and support when you start off on your own, and you cant beat the feeling when you get a cheque at the end of a job and you know you earnt it and its all yours (well apart from the taxman and the wife!)

Good luck

mart104
these money plumb courses are a rip off PLEASE send me the money instead ..lol (will set up a paypal account set up ;) )

there too many plumbers in the UK now dont bother ....

as I said doing an accreditted Tiling couse an getting a start with a bathroom fitter is my choice ...

lots of plumbers dont do tiling ,if you can show your a trained tiler ... some plumbers will take you on ...QUICK Sharp ...

notb665
Tiling correctly ...is very skilled trade , yeah .. maybe we can all throw tiles up ... but if you tile correctly I know lads who just tile an are on 35 sqm with firms
sem ploy .... you give a price job .. most reputable tilers are booked up by local plumbers never mind advertising an customer work ...

tiling is a CLASS finish job , other trades it can be forgiven but tiling is like an artist ...
so dont tell me we can all tile like the True Tile Masters ..lol..lol..lol..lol.

Thermo
same again we can all get books hints but unless you are the Master of that profession .....

I used to do 6 sqm an hour ....when young an had the "eye"=buzz for it ...
My mate an I tiled the Hammersmith baths mens an ladies changing an got 30 K, weekend work in the ealy 90s , tiled during sat/sun day then at night we mastic grouted them in ... best was having a swim at midnight in the baths .. very easy money in those boom/ bust days

I have retired now on it ..

My mucker has 3 bars in Pattaya .. an a different teen every night ..lol (well he is a scouser ,lol sorry woolyback , grew up at Latham nr ormskirk )

Thought of installing proper wooden flooring? That's a trade doing well now and is here to stay.
Proper wooden flooring installers are still scarce, some 'carperters' are installing wooden floors now also (cause their carpet companies has jumped on the 'band-wagon') and think they can stretch it ;)
Always working inside, nice during winter and rainy days. The result of your work is very satisfying.

Sponsored Links
Back