Giving up the day job...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last 22 years, I've worked in the same industry - since a lad of 18, I've worked may way up in my industry to a pretty good executive job. But to be honest, the love of what I do has gone, and all I'm left with is stress and bitterness. All around me, I see my fellow managers stressed to the eyes, sometimes even in tears when we're talking about the issues that surround us at work.
Stress has hit me bad and I'm currently on medication that does a great job of easing the physical effects of stress, but the emotional side is still there.

For many years, now though, I've been involced in some pretty extreme DIY and building jobs around the last two houses my wife and I have owned, up to and including building a proper brick workshop, a couple of kitchens, bathrooms, converting the old kitchen into a shower room, tiling, flooring, plumbing, electrics, decking, walls, patio building, landscaping, the works, plastering, decorating... the lot really! :)

This is all self taught, inspired by watching my dad when I was a kid.

So, now, after a lot of thinking, while I was happily working on a big-old 22Sqm patio this Easter, I'm considering quitting and taking up a trade professionally.
I guess it'll be worth taking some time out to get some PROPER training, maybe spend a little while as a labourer or something to get to know the ropes, then start out on my own.

Does anyone else have a similar tale, or any help and advice? I really think that this is a chance to break away from all the stress and spend some time doing things that I'm really actually rather good at.

Andy

Sponsored Links
So you work in an office and want to join the tradesmen out on site?

I'll have it if you don't want it.... ;)

To be honest though, the pay cut will kill you. The hard, back breaking work will kill you.. and the wife will kill you...

as with anything in life, if you do it day in and day out, you get fed up with it.. doesn't matter what it is..

that's why I'd never be a gynecologist.. keep your hobbies as your hobbies..

Sponsored Links
Go for it Andy!

No amount of money can compensate for misery or ill health.
Whatever you decide to do good luck.
Once you leave your present job in 6 months they will be saying, "Andy who?"

All around me, I see my fellow managers stressed to the eyes, sometimes even in tears when we're talking about the issues that surround us at work.

you wouldn't know what stress is in a 9 - 5 job.

Stress has hit me bad and I'm currently on medication that does a great job of easing the physical effects of stress, but the emotional side is still there.

then working for yourself isn't for you.
the grass may look greener over here but it ain't.

Just to try and be POSITIVE for a moment!... Andy, do you just want to be a general jobbing builder? If so, you'll probably be ok with most refurb jobs that come your way. If you want to start touching anyone's electricity you're gonna need to get yourself qualified. If you wanna touch gas, same rule applies. In fact, they'll throw the book at ya if ya touch gas without being registered.

The lads have a valid point though, working for yourself has some great benefits but it's also stressful. For me, the biggest thing you need to consider is, working for yourself is actually a lot like working for someone else... the customer is your boss! Which brings me to the next point. Working on your own projects can be very satisfying. You probably enjoy working on your own projects and may well make a very good job of them. However, they are 'YOUR' projects. There isn't any real time frame and the budget isn't as fixed as you think it is. You need to think long and hard about what it's going to be like working for someone 'in their home'. It really is VERY different when it's not your own house that you're working on. Time is the next consideration. To make money and keep people satisfied, you need to be able to complete work in a reasonable time scale and on time. Obviously this also effects your ability to make money.

If you can truly say to yourself that you'd be happy pulling someone's house apart and think you can complete jobs in a reasonable time whilst producing a high standard of finish then my own opinion is that you can probably do this. There are loads of other 'practical' considerations like tools, a vehicle, insurances, book keeping, setting up trade accounts, etc etc but as I say, for me, the main issue to consider is, will I be happy working in someone's house, pulling things apart, making a mess, dealing with their queries and be able to do it on time and on budget without compromising the finish. If the answer is still yes and your family are with you on this, then give it a go. Perhaps just do a few small jobs to get yourself used to working in peoples homes. Wanna know of one of the best places to 'network' and advertise yourself?..... The mum's in the school yard! You'll be amazed how quick your name goes around once you've done one job. If you make a nice job of it most of the mums 'do coffee' in each others houses and they show each other what they've had done. It's a great place to start out. AS LONG AS YOU DO A GOOD JOB! IF YOU DON'T....... YOUR NAME WILL BE SH!T QUICKER THAN YOU CAN GO FOR ONE!!!!

I think your biggest problem though Andy is your timing! There ain't as much work as there was 12 months ago! But there IS work and if you're happy to start by doing a few small jobs that'll probably make you NOTHING, then you'll be fine.

By the way, you'll never be rich! Whether you'll be happy I cannot say. Good luck whatever you decide.

andy7,if your job has driven you to drugs (legal).
well GTF out of there and F quick.
life is for living.
life is short.
life is to be enjoyed.
ok if it all goes pear shaped we have a safetynet in this country,yes benfits.
you can do most jobs as you have good history of employment and promotions.
jobs these days are really only short time contracts,as long as you look the job,speak the job.you will do ok out there.
good luck fella.

I remember a couple of years back reading about some guy who worked in the stock market and made fantastic money with lots of big bonuses and had all the trappings that went with it..exotic holidays ,his and her BMW X5 ,extra large house and extra large gdns...anyhow the guy went on to say why he quit all this to be a landscape gardner for about £18k a year ...he said as a stockbroker he would leave the house about 6.30 am have a very stressful day and arrive home about 19.00 and the weekends was spent on a pc analysing info on how to make the next buck while just living in the same house as his wife and 2 kids but one night something triggered in him packed his job in moved to less valuable home sold his and her BMW and got a second hand renault.
The result he said " I have never been happier in my life and my wife and kids love the new dad" and he went on to say he would not go back to that job even if the money and bonuses trebled, this was his story and has often been food for thought myself.....but whatever you decide to do Andy all the best

I like being self employed. I am drip fed just enough stress to keep me sharp and nothing more.

The amount of stress you receive is down to you. Greed generally is the main cause as is trying to keep everybody happy. To many spinning plates at once, a sit were. :rolleyes:

Be honest and tell the truth. If you can't do the job within the customers time frame then say so or tell them if they specifically want you then they will have to wait.

Sponsored Links
Back