change of use Live/work to full residential

27 Nov 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have a small warehouse in islington which has live/work usage . I wish to do alterations to it , extension or basement . In order to possibly do it under " permitted development "( maybe building regs issues too ) I understand that it has to be a full residential unit . I believe that there is quite an easy way of changing this over with new legislations etc but cannot find out how. Does anyone know? Also the property is within a conservation area ( in Islington ) . Think this could also be an issue?
Sponsored Links
Warehouses do not have permitted development rights. You'll need to apply for planning permission.
Thanks for the reply. Are you sure , even if the building has full residential?
The government changed the rules to allow retail to residential changes under PD, and that was what I was thinking about. But it seems that the rules were then changed again to allow the same thing with warehouses. :oops:

It's done under the "prior approval" regime, whereby the council can assess the proposal and may require a full application instead. But being in a conservation area may require a full application anyway.
Sponsored Links
Conservation Area or not, I'm pretty sure Islington "Article 4'd" the whole Prior Notification thing, so check with them, but I think you will need a Planning Application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local