Workshop into Residential?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am a novice at this stuff...

Workshop into residential?

I have come across a workshop for sale in amongst a residential area, it's slotted between 2 houses. My first thoughts were how was this allowed to be put up in the first place, but then again I don't know the rules.

The premises is narrow, in the past it was probably part of the neighbours garden. The workshop is long and it takes up the whole length of what I assume was the garden. So it runs alongside the gardens of properties either side. I'll attach images at the bottom of this post.

Description:

- A 'Freehold', 'Vacant Commercial', 'Workshop\office For Occupation or Investment'.

Local Plan:

- Local Plan: The premises is located within the 'Urban Area' of the town and therefore is not classed as green belt land. The Local Plan states in relation to housing that particular encouragement is given to reuse and redevelopment of existing developed sites and conversion of existing buildings due to limited opportunities for new development.

What I'd like to do:

Obviously I am interested in the possibility of turning this into a residential property. Firstly what do you guys think of the chances of this being possible?

I understand that if it is possible that this workshop could be redeveloped into residential that I'd be restricted in what I can do. I'd ideally like to build a single storey property in the footprint of the current workshop, but add in some garden space or possibly have a section of the property with a retractable roof. The property would need to be 'squared out' or made taller than it currently is. I have read that 2.5 metres is max height for garden outbuildings. Not sure how this workshop turning into residential fits in with these rules as I also understand you can't build within 2 metres of a neighbours fence, but this workshop practically acts as the fence for both neighbours.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Images attached below. In some images I have highlighted the border of the premises in red.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.png
4.png
5.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would guess that it's possible, although the width is tight
A Grand Designs episode had an old Victorian violin factory that a couple converted, it was similar to yours, although I think it widened out further back

A local bike breaker that I know recently retired and the terraced road that he had his workshop in is residential apart from corner shops and his place. His was apparently a basket weavers' workshop
I think it sold for £250k !!

https://filipgphotos.tumblr.com/post/149994613334/john-wyeth-motorcycles

If it is single storey you could have rooflights for natural lighting and ventilation. Apart from the usual concerns like drainage ,if that red outline is the boundary amenity space could be a problem. Best to get a local architectural designer to have a look at it and see what they think.

A local bike breaker that I know recently retired and the terraced road that he had his workshop in is residential apart from corner shops and his place. His was apparently a basket weavers' workshop
I think it sold for £250k !!

I currently have planning permission on a workshop I own in a residential area to be demolished and a three bed house built on the plot. That too has been valued by a local estate agent at £250K. I would think that many local authorities would welcome such proposals and I imagine you wouldn’t get any objections from local residents.

Sponsored Links
I would think that many local authorities would welcome such proposals
They may welcome the proposal in principle particularly in a residential area, but it depends on the particular features of the site. With a long narrow building like this an acceptable internal layout might be a problem.

Sorry, my normally vivid imagination doesn't stretch to planners welcoming anything!
Imagine a dirty smelly garage or some other type of trade smack in the middle of a residential street that’s been there 40 years. All the other commercial trade type premises have been converted to houses over the years. Imagine it next to you. Then ask yourself whether if that was going to be changed into a house. Would you object? Would the local authority?

A lot of people liked the bike breaker there, as he was a daily presence and didn't make too much noise.
But it was a bit of a mess outside!

Imagine a dirty smelly garage or some other type of trade smack in the middle of a residential street that’s been there 40 years. All the other commercial trade type premises have been converted to houses over the years. Imagine it next to you. Then ask yourself whether if that was going to be changed into a house. Would you object? Would the local authority?

I am no expert on getting approval whatsoever...

but yeah, a potentially noisy workshop day in day out or a residential property. Yes, neighbours can be noisy anyhow, but I'd only be turning it into a 1 bed property and there will be no garden, so the likelihood of a noisy couple living there would be low.

The advert says....

"The unit is considered ideal for owner occupation or could be let to provide a good income. It may also be suitable for future conversion into a single storey dwelling, subject to all necessary consents being obtainable.

Inside:
Entrance into reception/store area, open plan work area, separate kitchen & utility room, WC & second workspace & storage room."

The bit the states: "Considered ideal for owner occupation" which is highlighted in blue above..... does this mean it's legal to live there? If so, I assume you can live in it if you own it and are not leasing it?

Last edited:
Probably doesn’t mean living occupation. More likely work space occupation. Estate agent speak for "Buy it and use it yourself or let it out".

I have mocked-up a floor plan which isn't accurate in terms of measurements...instead it's a guesstimate. Gives an idea of the layout I am thinking of. I'd ideally fit a large retractable window/roof as shown above the floor plan. This would be located above the kitchen/living area.

FLOORPLAN.jpg

It will be like living on a narrow boat.
I would investigate the current planning and see what category it is, checking that you could get it changed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back