Change the bulb in my LED spots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

One of the LED spots in my kitchen has gone (after only 4-5 years?)

I'm trying to replace the 'bulb' but I can't see how, it looks like the whole fitting needs replacing, which is just insane.

Make/model: AURORA AU-FRLD913.

Images below:

IMG_20180701_154712605.jpg IMG_20180701_154610701.jpg IMG_20180701_154601697.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm trying to replace the 'bulb' but I can't see how, it looks like the whole fitting needs replacing, which is just insane. Make/model: AURORA AU-FRLD913.
It's not what you want to hear, but I don't think that light has a replaceable 'bulb' - so the whole thing will probably have to be replaced (and that model is no longer made, but you might find some 'old stock' somewhere). Sorry!

Kind Regards, John

it looks like the whole fitting needs replacing, which is just insane.
Be that as it may....

If they don't make that light any more (and after 4-5 years chances are they don't), and you can't find a very close equivalent, you'll have to replace all of them, or have mismatched lights.

Did you buy any spares at the time, to use for replacements?

It's possible that the driver has failed - can you dismantle a couple and swap the drivers to find out?

A google search suggests they have a 7 year warranty if that is any help.

Sponsored Links
A google search suggests they have a 7 year warranty if that is any help.
Such warranties on these sort of products are of limited usefulness, since it is rare for such products to still be in production 7 years after one buys them. The manufacturer will, if they honour the warranty (i.e. don't find a way to 'wiggle out'), replace it with a 'similar' (but almost always visually different) product - and [as with nearly all insurance (including home contents insurance etc.) policies] will not pay for replacement of items which are (working and undamaged) members of a set of matching things.

As BAS has said, the only real way of avoiding this problem is to buy a few spares at the time of having the originals installed. Provided the products concerned are not too expensive, I always try to do that.

Kind Regards, John

Don't you just turn the bezel and pull the bulb?
If not then lots of replacements available, though I would ditch the driver and fit mains powered led.

Many thanks all. Indeed, not what I wanted to hear but there we go. I'll contact (again) the electrician who installed then, I sure don't have any spares, I guess they might.

This seems a wasteful system/way of installing lighting, is this common/normal?

Many thanks.

Increasingly so.

Sustainability/maintainability is of no concern to manufacturers or customers these days.

Have you tried checking to see if it is just the driver which has failed? If so, that could be replaced.

This serves as a reminder why these fittings aren't a good idea - they don't last forever, as hoped, and replacements can be difficult to source.

GU10 fittings with LED lamps are best IMHO.

It's possible that the driver has failed - can you dismantle a couple and swap the drivers to find out?
Have you tried checking to see if it is just the driver which has failed? If so, that could be replaced.
Seems the OP isn't listening :rolleyes: At least these have an easily accessible driver with easily accessible terminals. Just needs to pop the cover off the LED side connections and check the voltage - if it's 0V (or thereabouts) then (almost certainly*) the driver is faulty and can be replaced, it it's 14V (or more) then the LED itself has failed open circuit.

* It's always possible that there's an internal short, but I don't believe this is a common failure mode for LED emitters. Can be verified by checking the current which would be fixed at 700mA but around 0V.

GU10 fittings with LED lamps are best IMHO.
Actually, IMNSHO a better option is not to use downlighter "little torches" at all :whistle:

Actually, IMNSHO a better option is not to use downlighter "little torches" at all :whistle:
I'm minded to agree. :mrgreen:

But it's too late to not use them now.

IF it turns out that the only solution that would be acceptable to the OP would be to replace all of them, then at that point it might be worth considering replacing/repairing the ceiling instead.

Don't know how many he has, or where, but it's possible that some holes could be enlarged to take sensibly sized lights if he still wants recessed, i.e. not all of the small holes would need to be filled in.

If one wanted to change to larger ones, even if one felt that the small ones were not serving a useful purpose, most of them could be allowed to persist (with very low power bulbs/lamps), with just one or three changed into bigger ones. Done in an appropriate 'pattern', that probably would look OK.

Thanks all for replying. Wasn't getting the notifications. Will test the driver. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back