Change water pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from this thread - //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/honeywell-v4073a-valve-and-3-way-port.297699/#2169491

Fed up with plumbers agreeing to come and then not turning up. No offence to the guys on here.

Decided a new pump is in order and reckon I could do it ,myself (wife and young children are nagging me that we have no heating)

Attached is a photo

As far as I see it, if I close the two red taps, I can remove the current pump without having to drain the system.

Am I right?

Sponsored Links
Yes, closing the 2 gate valves should enable you to remove the pump.
Good luck with getting those pump nuts loosened. A bit of heat and gentle taps with a hammer may be needed to get them off.
Obviously the correct size of pump grips will help. It all looks a bit tight.
Spray a bit of WD40 on the nuts and leave it to penetrate. Good luck.

Yes, closing the 2 gate valves should enable you to remove the pump.
Good luck with getting those pump nuts loosened. A bit of heat and gentle taps with a hammer may be needed to get them off.
Obviously the correct size of pump grips will help. It all looks a bit tight.
Spray a bit of WD40 on the nuts and leave it to penetrate. Good luck.

Thanks

You're right, it is a bit tight in there and I think the tank may have to come out first!!

Wish me luck

Good luck with the gate valves! I'd put money on at least one of them letting by, the top one more so.

Space is tight, as 45ygm says spray up with WD, tap with hammer etc.

I don't know how much space you have to the right of the picture. A 52mm pump nut spanner from Screwfix would more than likely help you out in regards with getting pump nuts undone, but its quite long. I doubt you'd be able to get a set of 14's or 18's in there to hold against whilst you try to undo. High chance the whole valve will just spin. But hopefully the WD would have had some effect and everything goes smoothly.

I'd drain the htg just to be safe.

Good luck mate.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back