changed washers on tap now water messed up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi the full story is I needed to change washers on both hot and cold kitchen taps (not mixer). I turned the water off under sink 1st and turned off boiler system. I then turned on all taps around the house to get rid of water. This took forever so I then rechecked that I had turned off the stopcock tap off fully. I was still able to turn it (its in a really awkward space under kitchen cupboard and extremely close to the floor and am only able to reach 1 arm under without any visual on what I was doing). After a few more mins all water from all taps had run dry. I was able to fix and replace washers no prob. I then turned water back on (turning the tap on to its fullest point) I could hear the water going back through the pipes. After a while I tried the taps to check for water. Kitchen hot tap was running kitchen cold tap running slowly. Upstairs loo would flush both hot and cold non mixer taps on sink worked bath is a mixer tap cold water ran fine but no hotwater (just a dribble). I contacted local council as i am a tenant but they say they cant come till end of the month. I have got up this morning and now cold tap in kitchen is just trickling water. I have an electric shower that seems to work ok and both dishwasher and washing machine seem to draw water ok. The only thingni have overlooked is when I was emptying tank I did forget to empty water out of garden tap. Is it safe to drink water from cold bathroom tap and also how xan I get my water to run correctly again. Please help

Sponsored Links
do you have a hot water cylinder, and a cold tank in the loft?

is your kitchen tap a mixer?

Sponsored Links
How did you select the right washers for the kitchen tap? I suspect a possible cock up there.

Turn off the stop tap again and try the cold wash basin tap - if it stops running pretty quick it will be mains feed and OK to drink from. So turn the water back on and use it!

I think you are best to let the council sort it out for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back