Changes to window in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone advise if I need planning permission to change the size of a window in the bathroom only i am getting conflicting advice!!!! I would like to install a larger window, it does not overlook the neighbours to my left or right and straight ahead is a brick wall. The large window will also be frosted.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello

Planning
A bit subjective as the planning system is always, but insertion of new windows that are of similar appearance to those used in the construction of the house are permitted development, so it really depends on how different your window is to other windows in the house or the one your replacing. In my experience submitting planning drawings, planners are not to worried about window size as long as not absurdly different to one being replaced. If the new window is in an upper-floor side elevation they must be obscure-glazed and either non opening or more than 1.7 metres above the floor level.

Building Regulations
Replacing window is a controlled fitting and certain standards must be met
If you were to do it yourself or use a “non-certified” tradesperson then you would need to apply to your local authority for inspection of the work, and only if they were happy with the installation would they issue a certificate – this is done by appointment only and there will be a charge levied.
On the other hand, if you use a company or contractor registered with a “Competent Person” Scheme such as FENSA or CERTASS then they could do the work & issue a certificate without the need to refer to the local authority and all the time & trouble that would entail.

On the other hand, if you use a company or contractor registered with a “Competent Person” Scheme such as FENSA or CERTASS then they could do the work & issue a certificate without the need to refer to the local authority and all the time & trouble that would entail.

They can't necessarily self-certify if it is a new or enlarged opening; it would be a structural alteration and Building Regs Part A will apply for a new beam.

Just additional information on the permitted development aspect, sometimes they have taken away the permitted development rights to side windows on new extensions. So sometimes you can add a new window of any size on an existing side wall, but 1m further back on a new extension you would need planning permission

Sponsored Links
If you are in a conservation area / their is an article 4 direction to remove PD then you may still need planning (also assumed not but if the building is listed then listed building consent would be required).

As tony1851 said structural alterations will require a new beam and need inspecting (but should be simple/cheap in most instances), unless you are just lowering a window cill then you may be able to do this without structural alterations and just need FENSA/CERTASS (which are usually best used if just replacing windows in existing openings).

Another thing to check is if the window is within 5m of the facing boundary as you will have restriction on unprotected area to the wall to stop fire spread to neighbouring buildings. You can normally overcome if a problem with fire rated glass but its worth a check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back