Changing 2 way switching back to normal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 ceiling lights in my hallway, one at each end. These are worked by a switch, also at each end, which switches on/off both lights at the same time. What would I need to do to make each light work separate with each separate switch, i.e. switch 1 only switches on/off light 1, and switch 2 only switches on/off light 2?

Sponsored Links
that would be a lot of work.
probably needing to get the floor boards up upstairs and wall damage is likely too

take some pictures then of the wiring at the ceiling roses for starters.

and maybe behind the switches

Sponsored Links
Surely the two way switching ( one at either end of the hall ??) Is more beneficial ?

Well one light is at front door and the other is up other end round the corner, right next to my little boys bedroom. Its just a pain in the darker nights when I put the light on when I answer the front door, but it lights up the whole hall way at other end too.

From what has ben said, it sound like you want the light nearest the front door to stay as it is, operating from both switches, but the light round the corner to operate from its own switch at the same position as the existing switch. This should not be too difficult in a bungalow, especially if the switch drops are in conduit. Have a look at "Wiring Diagrams for Lighting Circuits" at the top of this forum, and post back if necessary.

OK. The switch nearest the front door will remain as a 1-gang switch. The switch at the other end will be replaced by a 2-gang switch, one for the front door light, and one for the "round the corner" light. If you specifically DO NOT want the front door light to continue to be operable from both ends of the hallway, then depending on how it is currently wired, you might end up having to do a lot more work.

Currently they are both one gang, but when I switch any switch on, both lights come on. All I want is each switch to operate one light only. The front door switch to operate the front door end only, and the far end switch to operate the far end only

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back