Changing a 2 way light switch to a 1 way? HELP PLEASE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

i currently have a 2 way light switch in my garage, the 1st switch controls the lights within the garage and the second one controls an outside light.

i have got rid of the outside light as it is not used taped up the cable and pusshed it down the wall. however i traced the cable to see where it went (thinking it went to the light switch but it goes upstairs possibly to another light on the same circuit, bit this switch definatley only controls the outside light.

how do i re-wire to a single way switch do i have to remove one of the cables or just re-wire to the new 1 way switch? :mad:

hope the pics help if u need some more info let me know

many thanks

Sponsored Links
firstly you should never just tape the ends of a still live cable..
even if you've disconnected the live wire from the switch it's still live because you have a neutral still connected.. this may cause problems with RCD's mysteriously tripping..

you need to trace the cable and disconnect it entirely..

secondly,you have 2 way switching there, what does the 2 way switch control? the left hand one looking from the front, with the blue and yellow wires in it..

the 2 reds in the back, are they just twisted together?

Sorry for my lack of electrical literacy, but i'm not an electrician (hence me asking for help on the internet). I am just trying to save a bit of money and
Do a bit of diy.

After further reading on this site i think the light switch i am trying to re-wire is a 2 way 2 gang.

The 1st light switch controls 3 lights within the garage and the 2nd one controls an outside light which is no redundent. As the outside light is no longer being used i want to change it to a 2 way 1 gang switch. There are 3 cables there at the moment but 1 doesnt go straight to the outside light it must go to another light within the circuit.

Sponsored Links
1st switch and 2nd switch doesn't help us..

you need to define which is the 1st switch, which is why I asked what the switch on the left, as you look at it, does..

the way it's wired, the switch with the blue and yellow wires in it HAS to have a second switch somewhere..

As you look at the faceplate, the left switch controls 3 strip lights, now u mention a second switch there is another 1 gang switch that also controls the same 3 lights. But i dont think that the cables were red yellow and blue.

Does this help

Sorry for my lack of electrical literacy, but i'm not an electrician (hence me asking for help on the internet).
Fair enough, and nobody is saying you need to become one, but you must learn enough so that you understand what you're doing, and why, and what's going on, not just blindly following instructions telling you which wires to put in which terminals

I am just trying to save a bit of money and
Do a bit of diy.
Nothing wrong with that, but you have got to do it on the basis of real knowledge.

After further reading on this site i think the light switch i am trying to re-wire is a 2 way 2 gang.
Yup.

But it's been wired in an odd way - there shouldn't be conductors joined together like that, and also that has probably been done badly, i.e. just twisted together and taped over - you need to put that right.

And what's going on with the earths? How are they joined?

The 1st light switch controls 3 lights within the garage and the 2nd one controls an outside light which is no redundent. As the outside light is no longer being used i want to change it to a 2 way 1 gang switch.
Then learn how lighting circuits work, equip yourself with the right tools, trace and identify the wiring, and make the changes you want.

As well as the info in the Wiki, you'll find more in the For Reference topic, and in there you'll also find some book and website recommendations.

There are 3 cables there at the moment but 1 doesnt go straight to the outside light it must go to another light within the circuit.
Or another switch?

As you look at the faceplate, the left switch controls 3 strip lights, now u mention a second switch there is another 1 gang switch that also controls the same 3 lights. But i dont think that the cables were red yellow and blue.

Does this help
Not a lot.

You should get a multimeter, learn how to use it, learn how the circuit is/might be/should be wired, and trace and identify the cables.

I thought that there would be a simple way of doing it, i thought if i took some pictures of the wiring someone would be able to help me, im not completely green when it comes to electrics i have changed all my light fittings myself and changed all the light switches to new style white ones, which was really easy, all i want to do is make a double light switch into a single as i only need 1, the right hand light switch only controls 1 light for definate which was an outside light which i have removed and docked the cable off!

I dont want to know how my lighting is wired up to be frank it works and i dont care, by the time i was to get books out and read up all the information and bought new tools and a multi meter i could have got an electrician in for half a days money, but i like doing things myself i get a real buzz.

Just thought it was sonething simple i might just re wire onto a new 2 way 2 gang and have the second switch doing nothing!

Oh and the earths are joined together on a terminal block just like the others you can see except there covered over with black tape all perfectly safe.

I thought that there would be a simple way of doing it, i thought if i took some pictures of the wiring someone would be able to help me, im not completely green when it comes to electrics i have changed all my light fittings myself and changed all the light switches to new style white ones, which was really easy, all i want to do is make a double light switch into a single as i only need 1, the right hand light switch only controls 1 light for definate which was an outside light which i have removed and docked the cable off!

and as you've been told, it's not safe like that.. even if you disconnect the switch, the neutral is still connected...

....but i like doing things myself i get a real buzz.

and you certainly will if you do it wrong and grab an unexpected live wire..

Just thought it was sonething simple i might just re wire onto a new 2 way 2 gang and have the second switch doing nothing!

except turning on the cable you've "docked" off the other end off... leaving you with a live wire in the wall...

Oh and the earths are joined together on a terminal block just like the others you can see except there covered over with black tape all perfectly safe.

it looks to me that there is no terminal block on the end of either of those sets of wire.. and black tape is not "perfectly safe"..

now that you have given us the majority of the facts, we can tell you the info..

the black cable that is almost out of the terminal.. the one in the center top.. and the red at the bottom are the wires for your outside light..

please make sure that you put these in terminal blocks or crimp through crimps on the end to make safe..

enjoy, and please try to find the feeds to these wires and remove them properly..

I dont want to know how my lighting is wired up to be frank it works and i dont care, by the time i was to get books out and read up all the information and bought new tools and a multi meter i could have got an electrician in for half a days money, but i like doing things myself i get a real buzz.
You like doing things yourself, but you don't want to know how to do it properly and you don't care?

Ban, there's no need for that. You can be critical, sure, but there's no need for insults. Wasn't it you who berated someone once for resorting to swearing?

There are plenty enough words in our language to get a point across effectively without the need for insults.

Well - it's been deleted now, but hopefully the prize **** saw it before it was.

I have no regrets whatsoever about calling him that - his attitude is truly appalling - I have no time for people like him, and neither should anybody else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back