Changing a bathroom fan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice please.......
I am about to change my bathroom fan. I am fitting a double insulated fan with a timer and does not require an earth connection.
Outside of the bathroom I am fitting a double pole isolation switch and it is from here I wish to run the fan, rather than through the light pull switch.
The fan terminal has connectors
L.....Permanant live
L1....Switched live
N...... neutral

Can I run the live from this isoltion swith into both L L1 ?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
You can but why not run a 3 core + earth and use the fan as it was intended?
Presumably it has either a timer or a humidistat?

Also this work is notifiable to your labc

Thanks for your swift reply.....Am I missing something here?
Our bathroom is very light and airy, and we use the shower only during the day,and almost never in the evening when a light is required.
Our aim is to not have a pull switch to this unit in the bathroom, and also avoid running the fan each time the light is turned on in the evening.

"The fan unit itself is double isolated and does not require an earth connection" Quote from the installation phamphlet.
Thanks again.

Can I run the live from this isoltion swith into both L L1 ?

You can, in which case the fan will only work when power is supplied to it (i.e the isolating switch is on).
In the real world, this usually means the fan will never be used.

The missing point is - why buy a fan with a timer when you don't want that feature?

Sponsored Links
Once again thanks for your swift reply....... I can now see the error of my thinking.
I will resort to wiring up the new fan in exactly the same way as the old one...... by using a pullswitch, and the isolation switch.
Consider this resolved now thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back