Changing a ceiling light, multiple cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

We live in a new build (if that makes a difference) I've changed a couple of the lights over and they have been fairly straightforward.

Today I went to do one in the hall way and there are 3 cables connected into the old fitting each with a live neutral and earth, one with an additional black cable. There are 2 that have "sleeves" on them which I assume means they are the switch cable? The new light I'm fitting just needs a live and neutral connecting.

I've read through a few posts and apologies if I have this totally wrong but do I connect the two sleeved cables into the new fitting and get connected blocks and connect the remaining 3 brown together, 2 blue together and 3 earth together? I've attached photos to show the existing and new.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as you'll be able to tell I'm no electrician.

Attachments

• PXL_20240120_190301101.jpg
    PXL_20240120_190301101.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20240120_190231051.jpg
    PXL_20240120_190231051.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Edited... At the switch position is there a neutral in a connector block ( not connected to the switch ) . Were all the neutrals connected together in the old fittings neutral terminal block? Did you take a pic of connections before removing the old light fittings ?
I would make all the connections in a maintenance free junction box that can sit in the ceiling void ,and from there run a 2 core flex to the fitting .

Last edited:
Edited... At the switch position is there a neutral in a connector block ( not connected to the switch ) . Were all the neutrals connected together in the old fittings neutral terminal block? Did you take a pic of connections before removing the old light fittings ?
I would make all the connections in a maintenance free junction box that can sit in the ceiling void ,and from there run a 2 core flex to the fitting .
Yep we need to see what's at the switch.

I wonder if there's another light wired from the switch, such as porch or outside light?

Thanks for the replies, rookie mistake I didn't take a photo before disconnecting the old light.

There are 2 switches for this light, one just switches this light. The other is a double switch with the other switch being for an outdoor light, there is no outdoor light though as I haven't found the right one to put there, the cables for it will be connected to the switch ready though (the outside is covered by a black box)

I've attached photos of both switches

Attachments

• PXL_20240121_093514760.jpg
    PXL_20240121_093514760.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20240121_093039250.jpg
    PXL_20240121_093039250.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20240121_093008706.jpg
    PXL_20240121_093008706.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
Looks like the wires with brown and blue sleeves are the switched line and neutral and the other wires need connecting together ie all blues into one connector and all browns into another. And don't forget to also connect the earth's together.

Looks like the wires with brown and blue sleeves are the switched line and neutral and the other wires need connecting together ie all blues into one connector and all browns into another. And don't forget to also connect the earth's together.
I am not sure that's right. I think the grey wire with blue sleeve needs to go together with the other blue neutrals and connect to the new light fitting. Black with brown sleeve is switched live to the fitting, and the browns go together in an insulated terminal block,not connected to the light fitting in any way. Earth conductors together in their own terminal block.

the grey with the blue sleeve appears to be connected to the neutrals at the switch though

Yes ,I think it's the neutral feed in the loop terminal ( from the ceiling) ,and the other wire in that terminal is the neutral for the outside light.

Exactly as I assumed, the blue sleeved grey is the neutral feed to the switch for the additional switch.
I am not sure that's right. I think the grey wire with blue sleeve needs to go together with the other blue neutrals and connect to the new light fitting. Black with brown sleeve is switched live to the fitting, and the browns go together in an insulated terminal block,not connected to the light fitting in any way. Earth conductors together in their own terminal block.
Yes ,I think it's the neutral feed in the loop terminal ( from the ceiling) ,and the other wire in that terminal is the neutral for the outside light.
As Terry has said: all browns together in an additional connector for the loop permanent lives, brown sleeve for your switched live and all blues and blue sleeves together for your neutral.

Last edited:
Thanks both, I've been out this morning running round after the kids. I'll get back on it this afternoon, appreciate your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back