Changing a Clio Battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wish I hadn't volunteered but...
62 Plate ClioTomtom
Have the battery (063)
Presumably I'll have to maintain 12V while switching over or lose the radio or something?

How much current would it need in the ciggylight socket with the ignition on so the socket's connected?
I should have a sealed 12V batttery good for a couple of amps, or
I guess I could put self tappers into the old terminals and connect wires to them to maintain connection during the changeover.

The dead battery suddenly broke a plate or something, You can charge it to13V but with lights on it's down to 11V in 20 seconds, and falling.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you have the radio code if its needed?

Dont recall any issues on clio of that age of just removing and replacing battery

Don’t think you’ll need the code but if you do there are plenty of free Renault radio code generators online. Your duff battery should suffice if you use it - I once had a Memory saver that plugged into the cig socket (dont forget to leave ignition switched on) and that was powered by a 9v battery.

Last edited:
I clip a battery charger onto the two clamping terminals then lift the old battery away.
A cable tie helps secure things if it's really important!
John :)

Sponsored Links
I clip a battery charger onto the two clamping terminals then lift the old battery away.
A cable tie helps secure things if it's really important!
Thought of that but my battery charger is too smart. It would detect "Not a battery" and switch off!

My old cheapie charger gave about 20V open circuit - what would that break on a car?

Thought of that but my battery charger is too smart. It would detect "Not a battery" and switch off!

My old cheapie charger gave about 20V open circuit - what would that break on a car?
Leave the ignition/radio on maybe?

Don't worry about that one.....the voltage will drop as soon as it's connected to the battery or any slight load.

Back