Changing a door lock/composite type door.

29 Aug 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom
First post so please be gentle.

I've just bought a flat that's just had a new composite type door fitted. The lock seems to be a deadlock type with a trigger that activates claws, top and bottom.

I was wondering if it would be possible to swap or convert the lock from one that needs locking with a key from the outside to one that locks automatically when slammed, like the old Yale type of lock used to.

Also, before I do this (if indeed it's possible to do it), I'd like to replace the lock barrel incase there are some other keys kicking around. I've removed the Posidrive screw and jiggled it with the key as usual but it doesn't seem to want to come. It's the type with a thumbwheel inside and I didn't have an Allen key (?) to remove it. Could this be the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
The cylinder comes out from the door on the knob side (inside).

A photo of the door will give us more ideas about retro fit.
Looks like a rebated locking rail in the door edge. Limits retro fits.

Easiest locks to fit keeping the existing, would be,

1 Yale 88/89
2 Yale Number 1

Both fit surface on the rear, 88 is just a latch. 89/No1 can be dead locked from outside and No1 is also a deadlatch.

Assuming drilling the door is allowed and breaks no warranties.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local