Changing a double light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I want to change a double light switch which feeds 2 separate lights,the current switch plate has red and black wires connecting to L1 and L 2 on both switches but new switch plate has L1 and L2 and common on each switch... so swapped wires from old switch to new one using L1 and L2 but nothing....any ideas would be greatly received....thanks

Sponsored Links
Old switch........L1........L2.....L3
New swiitch......COM....L1.....L2

So connect your wires to COM and L1 on the new switch

Thanks bernardgreen but could you clarify the wire in L1 on old switch becomes com on new switch and so on... many thanks

Sponsored Links
Intrigued you all say use L1 theres a 50% chance the switches will work upside down, some manufacturers use L2 for one way switching.
What make switch is it, it should have instructions regarding connecting

any ideas would be greatly received
My idea is that in future you should take the trouble to learn how things work before you start to fiddle with them.

I really don't see why that should be such an outlandish concept.

Thanks for all the informative replys and even the odd sarcastic one.....We can all learn something new everyday.

And we all should.

But not by trial-and-error-mistakes if there is a reasonable alternative.

Unlike, of course, someone who pops up in a thread where he has had zero involvement, just to insult someone.

Daz - take no notice of GB - he is plumber, and got so bent out of shape when people here started telling him that he was wrong to be charging to do electrical work that they had to lock the thread:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/2-way-switching-help.493959/#post-4047894

I guess he's particularly upset with me because I was the first to comment on his blundering, ignorant incompetence.

the thread got locked because I put a complaint in about you, you moron....
and so we begin again, you assuming everything the worse about me when you don't even know me....
lets start with me having 2360 1and 2 16th and update to 17th...2391 gained in 2006 and I am registered with niceic
but as most of my work is plumbing I grant you...I just needed my memory jogging about a switching arrangement, and for that massive crime I was labelled a scammer and a thief by yourself

your an absolute disgrace, and why your still allowed to post on what is supposed to be a friendly ask the experts site is beyond me...you are the ultimate faceless nameless keyboard warrior...thank your lucky stars I will never ever find you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back