changing a motorised valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my central heating system is Y plan and i need to change my motorised valve, can anyone give me step by step help please.

Sponsored Links
It could be that you only need a new motor or valve head - much simpler to change. Are you sure you need to change the whole valve?

I shouldn't really let you get away without a better explanation, but if you insist on changing whole valve, here goes.

First you need to see if you can isolate the section of pipework on which the valve is fitted. If it's after the pump, the pump isolating valve will allow that side to be isolated. If you're very lucky, a thoughtful installer will have also placed isolating valves on the HW and CH branches, in which case its all very simple.

More likely you will have to drain and refill a more substantial part of the system, depending on the relative positions of valve, isolating valves and drain points. You have to work that out for yourself.

One drained, the 3 compression nuts can be undone and the old valve replaced (with the same make to allow reuse of existing nuts and olive). the wiring should be the same as before, so replace each individual cable one at a time.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back