Changing a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of changing the bathroom radaitor (10mm pipe) to a towel rail (15mm pipe),
with the CH system turned off is it possible to swap the current radiator valves for 10/15mm reducers (already connected to the towel radiator) without draining the system or freezing the pipes?
This is on a non pressurised boiler, so would it be possible to do this "live" without too much water loss, the floorboards are up at the moment so i can place a large bowl under the joints whilst changing them over,
or would this just be a bad idea?

Sponsored Links
Thought not but if you dont ask!

Are the pipe freezing kits any good?

Sponsored Links
Drain it and use brass reducers!
I once "froze" my 10mm coated CH pipes to change a rad, using top notch rothenberger freezing kit down to about -15! I thought if it looks like an ice-pop then ALL IS SWEET.
Not so, with coated 10mm pipe it does an excellent job of insulating the pipe. Took the valves off and got totally covered in black rad water, not to good on a white polo shirt. :cry:

What Kevplumb means is bung it. You can get a pair of purpose made rubber bungs or the wine cork tool with a lever, the carrot hadn't occured to me before, stop end is for the vent pipe.

Basically turn it into a sealed system by blocking the cold feed at bottom of f/e tank and blocking open vent. Draw some water from the drain off until it is held in suspension. Close drain off. Now you can break into the system one place at atime and there will be nothing more than a small puddle.

Thanks guys :D , i knew there must be a simple way of doing it

Put the bungs in then let out whatever water comes from a drain cock - which you should have somewhere. You're trapping air in the vent pipe, and that'll always expand, letting some water out.
Close the drain cock - or leave it open!

Any chance of connecting the radiator valves into the towel rail? Then you wouldn't have to drain or anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back