Changing a thermostatic cartridge in my concealed shower valve

Right... I have the therm cartridge. I widened the opening and the collar and retaining nut are removed. I gently tried to pull out the cartridge by the end bit but it isn't budging. Any advice on what to do to get it out in one piece?

IMG_20211109_113418412.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well done!
Top marks for perseverance :)

The valve is held in by 'O' rings, so it should come out with a twisting/pulling motion.

I don't know if this might work, but you could carefully turn the water back on briefly to moisten the seals?

Well done!

The valve is held in by 'O' rings, so it should come out with a twisting/pulling motion.

I don't know if this might work, but you could carefully turn the water back on briefly to moisten the seals?
And thanks for all your help! I'll give it a go.

By O rings do you mean the three rubber seals around the body of the cartridge?

In your opinion, should I install isolation valves on the hot and cold supply or will it reduce the water pressure?

Well done!

I pulled hard and it came out. Now the task is to get the new cartridge in but the damn thing isn't playing ball. It's not going in fully. YouTube video says to press in hard but so far it's not playing ball

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I pulled hard and it came out. Now the task is to get the new cartridge in but the damn thing isn't playing ball. It's not going in fully. YouTube video says to press in hard but so far it's not playing ball
Just back online!
If you have something like Vasseline, try rubbing that on the 'o' rings.
It may also have to go back in a certain orientation, but I don't know for sure.
...and full bore isolators are available. I have them on all my taps as the stop tap is behind the fridge freezer! :)
Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back