1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing a towel radiator on a megaflo system

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Matty2000uk, 19 Aug 2021.

1. Matty2000uk

Matty2000uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I’m planning on replacing a towel radiator (like for like size) and had a few questions I’m hoping someone could help me out with.

I plan to isolate the rad at the valves at the base of the rad, drain it into a bucket (using the bleed valve to release all the water), install and connect the new rad and turn the water back on (closing then bleed valve when water starts to come out the top). Is that correct? Do I need to worry about the central heating pressure or do anything with the megaflo tank?

It seems simple but I don’t want to make a mistake which then leads to a problem. I’ve made sure the new radiator has the same pipe centre measurement.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt

2. Sponsored Links
  3. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If your heating system is sealed (usual these days, clue is a pressure gauge on or near the boiler reading 1.5 bar or so) then you'll need to repressurise the system (to make up for the radiators' worth of water you drain off).
    You don't have to shut the boiler down, just use the controls to switch heating and hot water off.
    Be prepared for the water in the radiator to be filthy.

4. Matty2000uk

Matty2000uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your help, I’m sure it is a sealed system. My main issue is I have no idea how to repressurise the system.