Changing a TRV. Olive question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can offer me some experienced advice here:

I have just / am in the middle of replacing a faulty TRV on my bedroom radiator - i drained down the radiator and bunged the header tanks feed and vent pipes, all is ok, but i cannot get the old olive off the pipe uo to the rad, as the nut won't budge downwards. If i use the old olive will it be watertight again? Is there anything I can do/use over the old olive/nut connection to make sure the joint is sound??

Any help I would be so grateful for here.

All the best

Kane

Sponsored Links
so long as 1. the olive hasn't been squashed already by over tightening and 2. the old nut fits the new valve, then just wrap a small amount of PTFE round the olive, slip new fitting on and tighten up nut.

if it is not as above then a junior hacksaw can be used to carefully cut the old olive, only cut about 3/4 way through and then tweek it off with a screwdriver twisted in the cut, i find diagonal across the olive works best.

Depends on the TRV your fitting. Cant you just saw them off with a junior hacksaw? Take care with the olive not to 'nick' the pipe. Then replace for new.

Take you 5 minutes.

thing is i can't fit a hacksaw down the gap, the nut is right tight up to the olive ....

will PTFE wound round and pushed down towards the olive - and then pushed up into the new valve be ok??

if the old olive was overtightened and i get it off - will the pipe be ok or need replacing ??

Sponsored Links
The nut won't seem to cut - seems very thick.

shall i try PTFE down the gap ebtween the olive and nut and tighten then?

The nut won't seem to cut - seems very thick.

Well, get a sharp blade then. Your trying to saw through a 15mm nut, not the QE2. Its thicker than an olive grated, one cut through and you can split it. If not, turn around, cut it again and then cut off the olive with the advice given.

Put a bit of elbow grease into it. :rolleyes:

My 14 year old boy cuts em off for me on Saturdays with no bother!

ok will do, if the old one was on v tight though, will the new one be ok and not leak? will do it now!!

ok will do, if the old one was on v tight though, will the new one be ok and not leak? will do it now!!

Place a few wraps of PTFE aroud the new olive if your worried about the the copper being distorted by the old olive. A good smear of LSX on the inside of the TRV body will help if you have it, and dont over-tighten. You can always pinch it up if neccessary.

You will be fine. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back