Changing a valve on a combi boiler system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have read posts on this and understand that by closing the service valves on the flow and return to the boiler then opening the valve this will create a vaccum? (have already done this on my own system although its a conventional boiler). The problem is I can see no valves on the pipework whatsoever nor a drain nipple, the boiler does sit very low, could it be within the casing of the boiler or can we do it some other way?

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If by a conventional boiler you mean a heat only boiler on an open vented system (header tank, hot water cylinder etc ) then you won't have isolation valves on the flow and return pipes at the boiler. If you want to create a vacuum on this type of system you will need to bung the feed and vent pipes at the header tank and then open a drain point somewhere on the system. Expect a pint or two of water to come out before it stops. Make sure any auto air vents are shut before you start.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You say you want to change a rad valve on a combi system?

What make of boiler is it?

The valves can leak when operated, I think closing the auto air vent on top of the boiler has the same effect but a plumber will need to confirm this.

Sponsored Links