Changing bathroom spotlight bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed to change a bulb recently and instead of going into the loft I decided to pull the surround down from inside the bathroom and change the bulb that way. That was the first mistake as pulling the surround down took with it some paint so that had to be touched up.

There were 2 tiny screws that I needed to remove in order to release the bulb holder from the surround and my second mistake was dropping one of these screws and not being able to find it!! I think it may have gone down the plughole - third mistake, not outing the plug in!!

Does anybody know what size these screws are - I would say they are about half a centimetre long and have a head about 3mm across. I have put in a screw which looks similar but it doesn't tighten probably and the holder is therefore on the wonk.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There are probably about a thousand different downlights on the market, so I doubt anyone could even make a guess at it!

As an aside, and the often changealampinadownlight saga that we get on here.

Almost all downlights allow you to remove the lamp, from below, without having to yank the whole fitting out of the ceiling.
Also, manufacturers generally don't make the domestic customer wrestle with a tiny screw while balancing on a chair/WC seat.

In almost every case, its a matter of just knowing how it works. Some pull out, some need a small lever, some just need a ⅛ turn to release the lamp. It's knowing the trick.

Now you have one out of the ceiling, you may be able to determine the make and model. A quick Google may come up with the how it's done!

Or you could post a pic on here. Someone may know the secret, and we love pictures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back