Changing battery on Texecom Elite 48

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a brief power cut here at the weekend. I was surprised to receive an immediate "12v fail" alert which stayed until I could reset it after the power was restored.

We actually had a longer power cut, about three hours, just before Christmas, and there was no alert then. So if the battery has failed it is rather sudden.

Looking back I find the battery is four years old, so it seems a reasonable conclusion that it needs replacing. I will be collecting a new battery tomorrow.

According to Wintex, the battery voltage is the same as the power supply voltage at 13.46 volts and the supply current is about 0.5A. It doesn't show any fuse failures.

Does this sound like a simple battery failure to you experts, or could it be something more serious?

Am I right in thinking that in engineer's mode I can remove the old battery and connect the new one without any other settings or precautions? Providing the mains is still on I assume there will be no alarms to annoy the neighbours..

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
May not be a battery issue as the new " switch mode psu " sometimes will come up with 12v fail in power cuts ( depending on firmware )

Thanks Sparky!
The PSU is a LAB785 if that means anything, in a black plastic case.
Not sure of the panel software, I haven't upgraded it but I suspect 2.x. Can't find a firmware ID in Wintex

if its elite is a black PSU, if its premier is a transformer.

power cut and you will get a few messages, should be able to clear going in and out engineering if power is back on

Sponsored Links
that is true, to be fair there is a possibility that if you can't clear the fault the psu maybe be faulty

OK thanks guys. I'm hoping that's all it is.
The alarm is set in engineer mode at the moment so I will try just resetting it in the morning.

I've ordered the replacement battery anyway and after 4 years I'm happy to replace it.
Just to confirm: I can replace the battery in engineer mode without any other settings?

Just to report back...

New panel battery fitted.
Wintex says the battery voltage is a little lower than before, and current is 100mA higher. I'd expect this with the new battery charging up.
All alarms cleared and back in service.

Panel firmware is v.2.09. I have never bothered to update the firmware as I always believe "If it ain't bust, don't fix it". But if the spurious 12v alert condition with mains fail is due to the firmware/PSU issue perhaps I should update it. It's never happened before though.

Does that fault occur with v.2.09 and black plastic PSU (LAB785)?

Incidentally the date code on the old battery was 12/12, so it was well over five years old.

Once again I have to say many thanks for the excellent support here. You guys are awesome!

I'm not in a position to check at the moment but it's always been OK. I can check later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back