Changing ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am changing a ceiling light, existing one is ceiling rose as in pic attached, also attached pic of the new light I want to install.
What's the best way? Shall I keep the ceiling rose base fitting and slide new light fixing bracket under it as in third pic attached?

Thanks

Attachments

• light1.jpg
    light1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 114
  • light2.jpg
    light2.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 110
  • light3.jpg
    light3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That fitting is double insulated with a very tight connection box.

The best way would be to use a Maintenance-Free junction box to terminate all the cables currently feeding the batten lamp holder in the ceiling void, then take a flex out of the MF JB and bring that through the ceiling into the tight connection box.

The best way would be to use a Maintenance-Free junction box to terminate all the cables currently feeding the batten lamp holder in the ceiling void, then take a flex out of the MF JB and bring that through the ceiling into the tight connection box.
The way I meant is to keep the black part only of the ceiling rose which is screwed to the ceiling and discard the rest. Or use 4 wago connectors, hide under new light fitting?

How do I feed MF JB into ceiling void? It's a ground floor extension, joist and flat roof with no access.

Last edited:
Cut a hole in the ceiling to push the MF junction box through. Bring flex to the light fitting as suggested by securespark.

Sponsored Links
What do the manufacturers instructions say about the connexion?

If that light fitting is as metalic as it looks and those brown and blue wires are at mains potential, I don't see how it can actually be double insulated.

Personally I'd be inspecting and testing it thoroughly and see about adding an earth, in which case the existing ceiling rose could stay inside it.

However I have proper test kit to perform insulation tests etc. and with respect I doubt you have such test kit available.

My gut feeling is the result is not ideal for that particular light but both secure and Terry have given the 'official' correct advice.

I do agree with you that the cabling to the lamp holders seems to contradict its Class II label.

I do agree with you that the cabling to the lamp holders seems to contradict its Class II label.
I am also looking at the multiway joints and what appears to be the absence of terminals.

I must be honest I was fully expecting a barrage of critisism.

Thank you.

My understanding of the criteria for class 2 light fittings is the CONNECTIONS need to be double insulated ,the individual wires internally only need their insulation to be reinforced ( whatever determines that is debatable ,and I never found any regulation or standard that clearly defined that, and would be interested if anyone has)

My understanding of the criteria for class 2 light fittings is the CONNECTIONS need to be double insulated ,the individual wires internally only need their insulation to be reinforced ( whatever determines that is debatable ,and I never found any regulation or standard that clearly defined that, and would be interested if anyone has)
My opinion, for what it's worth, is there doesn't seem to be any reinforcement in that product and can easily foresee the loose wires getting trapped between the bracket and enclosure when the 2 are brought together and screws tightened.
That is one of my concerns, I believe the black lump is a plug/socket and on that basis I don't believe I see a connexion box.

Pic isnt the best ,and it's hard to tell exactly what that black box is. I don't know if it's a plug set up or connector block in a housing. I suspect it's the latter.

Pic isnt the best ,and it's hard to tell exactly what that black box is. I don't know if it's a plug set up or connector block in a housing. I suspect it's the latter.
In which case what is the black item, eminating from the black device, that looks like a piece of cable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back